SSL secuextender disconnect upon connection

Alanl
Alanl Posts: 14  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited May 2023 in Security

Hello, I have a Windows 11 machine which will not stay connected to my ATP200's SSL VPN. I have several other devices (Win 10, MacBook Pro) which seem to be functioning normally.

My firmware is V5.36(ABFW.2) the device is configured in stand alone mode.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and it produces the same result.

I can stay connected to the VPN on this device via L2TP.

Might anyone have any suggestions?

It is an Alienware Laptop.

Thanks,

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2023

check in device manager for TAP-Windows Adapter V9 for Zyxel SecuExtender that the MTU is 1370

• Alanl
    edited May 2023

Thank you.

I just looked MTU is set at 1370.

Regards

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

If SSL VPN is port 443 in system > WWW is User Service Control set for all?

• Alanl

It is. In my case I am using the same user (mine) to connect on the three devices, so I don't think it is a user issue.

Regards,

• Alanl

Might anyone else have any other suggestions?

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    edited May 2023

@Alanl

Since you mentioned that your Windows11 cannot stay connected with SSL VPN, do you mean that the SSL tunnel can be established but dropped within secs or mins? Or cannot establish the tunnel?

Please collect the secuExtender log on the Windows11 PC
    C:\SecuExtenderHelper.log
    C:\Users[windows account]\SecuExtender.log

First, you can check if the service SecuExtender Helper is running when the issue happens.

Second, you can also check if the account reaches the max number of
    simultaneous logons. Object > User/Group > Settings > Limit the number of simultaneous logons for access account. Or the SSL VPN IP address is not enough for assigning to this PC.

• Alanl
    edited May 2023

Hi James,

Here are answers to your questions. The SSL VPN connection is successfully established. It the disconnects in under ~30 seconds before I get the time to enter approve 2FA on my cell phone. The specific servers was running. For testing I turned it off and the connection was not able to establish. Once I turned it back on the connection was established, however it disconnected in ~30 seconds (same as above). As for max number of users, I am the only person using this account and it is only being used at one device at a time.

Just to recap, I have two different users who are using the MAC version of the software who are successfully able to establish an SSL VPN connection via their own respective logins. When I use my user ID on a Windows 10 PC I am able to establish the SSL VPN connection successfully.

On the same Windows 11PC that is having SSL VPN issues I can make a sucessful L2TP VPN connection. Once established and authenticated via 2FA I have not seen it drop.

I am attaching the two log files as requested.

Regards,

• Zyxel_James

@Alanl What's your SecuExtender version?

• Zyxel_James

@Alanl

After checking the secuextender.log, we suspect that the traffic didn't send to the SSL tunnel after connected, so the device dropped the connection.

And about why the traffic didn't send to the SSL tunnel, it could be the PC routing issue. Do you have any VM interface on your network? could you disable VM interfaces or other non-related network interfaces and try again?

• Alanl

Hi James, I am running version 4.0.4.0 / release date Jan 25 2021.

I did have Oracle Virtual Box installed. I have removed it (via add remove program). The same result is occurring.

Security Highlight