Power usage increase on XGS1250-12 V2 firmware

Options
ervee
ervee Posts: 6
Friend Collector First Comment

Hi,

I upgraded the firmware of my XGS1250-12 from V1.00(ABWE.3)C0 to 2.00(ABWE.0)C0 and now the power usage has increased.

The green graph is the time left on my UPS and it has decreased significantly.

Anyone else seen this?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 490  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ervee

Thank you for the update.

There's no need for apologies, it is our responsibility to make sure the product has been delivering its function appropriately ;)

If there are any more questions or assistance needed in the future, please feel free to reach out.

Zyxel Nami

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited February 2
    Options

Hi @ervee

To better understand the increased power usage, please let us know if there are other devices connected to the UPS and the switch itself.

Additionally, are there any changes in the network configuration or connected device behavior post-update?

Zyxel Nami

• ervee
    Options

Hi Nami,

I only updated the firmware that night. Behind the same UPS is a small server/NAS, a router, an access point and the XGS1250-12 switch.

I already checked the server for extra CPU/IO load and it is acting normal (I also have SNMP and collectd monitoring on the server).
    The load on the (openwrt) AP is 0.07 so very low and normal.
    I checked the (openwrt) router and there is no unusual load on there either.
    I have not done any configuration changes on the switch. I tried to disable and enable the 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet to see if it perhaps got disabled but it made no change in power usage.

I can't explain the extra power draw from anything other then the firmware update of the XGS1250-12 switch.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @ervee

Thank you for providing detailed insights into your setup.

We conducted the tests on the XGS1250-12, with 7x 1G ports and 2x 10G ports connected. There were no significant differences in power usage between firmware versions V1.00(ABWE.3)C0 and V2.00(ABWE.0)C0.

For further insight, could you temporarily switch back to the previous firmware and observe any changes in power consumption?

Zyxel Nami

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    Options

@Zyxel_Nami you wrote

There were no significant differences in power usage between firmware versions V1.00(ABWE.3)C0 and V2.00(ABWE.0)C0.

Please, would you kindly share the previous (1.00 ABWE.3) power usage and currente (2.00 ABWE.0) power usage?

Between the two firmware releases are the default settings changed in any way?

Last but not least: XGS1250-12 V2 has only 1 hardware version?

• ervee
    Options

Hi Nami, is it safe and supported to switch back to firmware 1.00 from 2.00 ? I can't afford bricking the device :)

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @ervee and @mMontana

It is good to consider running in the old firmware that may have an impact on performance. However, it is safe to downgrade to the previous one [from V2.00(ABWE.0)C0 to V1.00(ABWE.3)C0] for testing purposes.

Please, would you kindly share the previous (1.00 ABWE.3) power usage and currente (2.00 ABWE.0) power usage? Between the two firmware releases are the default settings changed in any way?

Here are the results from our tests for your reference:

1. Test Scenario: Broadcast packets with Loop Guard disabled:
      • V1.00(ABWE.3)C0: AC input 19.64W
      • V2.00(ABWE.0)C0: AC input 19.66W
    2. Test Scenario: Only link up and VLAN configuration for each port:
      • V1.00(ABWE.3)C0: AC input 18.55W
      • V2.00(ABWE.0)C0: AC input 18.47W

Last but not least: XGS1250-12 V2 has only 1 hardware version?

The firmware version V2.00(ABWE.0)C0 supports both XGS1250-12 Rev. A1 and B1 hardware versions.

Thank you

Zyxel Nami

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    Options

For Test Scenario 1, +0.02 is margin of error.
    For Test Scenario 2, -0.08 is 0.4% of improvement, yet still margin of error.
    Thanks for sharing.

@ervee according to your graph, uptime decrease from 48 minutes to 45, more or less 6% of uptime prevision loss.

Can you exclude any other change happened on devices connected to that UPS?

• ervee
    Options

Thank you for testing and sharing @Zyxel_Nami !

@Zyxel_Nami and @mMontana I will put the switch on a power meter and do the downgrade in my next maintenance window. That will be in a couple of weeks I hope.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @ervee

How is everything going?

If there are any updates, please let us know. Thank you

Zyxel Nami

• ervee
    Options

Hi Nami,

I have not yet had the window of opportunity to test. I appreciate your help and measurements and I have not forgotten you. I'm hoping on a maintenance window on Sunday march 3rd.