usg flex 50 vs usg flex 100

Options

Hi,

I have two questions:

1)I wanted to know what are the main differences between the usg flex 50 and the usg flex 100 besides the price?

2) when i buy the device will it work immediately? do i need to subscribe to anything?? a license i needed even if I buy the device?? please explain because its really not clear…

ciao,

Antonio

Accepted Solution

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd personally go with the second one.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,770  Guru Member
    edited February 24
    Options

The FLEX 50 has lower Performance like SPI firewall throughput 350 vs 900 Mbs note that these numbers are not TCP

You can buy the device without a license and will work when you register it here https://portal.myzyxel.com as you set it up

• antoniocerasuolo
    Options

so looking at this link , there seem to be huge differences like IPS.. email security.. etc..

so doesn't seem to be only a speed thing..

https://www.zyxel.com/it/it/products/next-gen-firewall/usg-flex-firewall-usg-flex-50/license-and-spec

can you please explain?

• mMontana
    edited February 24
    Options

Specs are not "that" accessible, but are reachable. "Speed" is sometimes a misleading way to define transport capacity and this change if different services (email/web filtering, cloud AV, VPNs) and techiques (different stronger/heavier cyphers, remote authetication services…) are used. CPU the same, but load increase.

Last but not least: while both are not "newest line" of Zyxel products, USG Flex 50 is a "brand rename" of the older USG-20 VPN, more or less, so it's… a bit older, as design, than USG Flex 100 (more or less 4-5 years).

If it's your first firewall device and your ISP connection (more than one?) si faster than 50mbps in or out, USG Flex 100 might be a better option for future ISP upgrades.

They share a defect: only 1gbe ports, no 2.5gbe or 10gbe.

• antoniocerasuolo
    Options

thanks,

I gave gigabit ethernet form my ISP, so should be getting the usg flex 100 i guess!!

i plan on installing it in the following way:

ISP ROUTER → USG FLEX →MY ROUTER → SWITCH

therefore in between my ISP router and my router, my isp IP DHCP range is 192.168.1.0/24 but from what I understood the USG FLEX will automatically give out 192.168.10.0/24 ? is this really the case or will I have to manually change the LAN IP addressing?

• mMontana
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd personally go with the second one.

• StefanZ
    StefanZ Posts: 191  Master Member
    Options

I have a F50 here to connect to an on-site F200.

The F50 maxes out at around 350MBit / sec on the WAN side.

That is fine for my admin use case, but as the only path to a GBit WAN you should at least go with the F100.

Security Highlight