USG20W-VPN no more geoip updates

Options
c777
c777 Posts: 9
First Anniversary First Comment

Hello,

On my USG20W-VPN, I don't have any geoip update since March 11th, on both firmwares 5.37-2. I have no error message but apparently it's no longer powered.

I've been using it for several years, in fact since I discovered that this option had become free on the forum.
But before that date, I had one or two updates a week.

This option is really interesting for security, but if it's no longer kept up to date, it loses its appeal, in my opinion, even if it's better than nothing.

I would have liked to hear from an employee or others who have official communication on this subject and the expected time between updates.

Thank you very much for the information shared.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,455  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @c777,

The Geo IP database would not change frequently.
    The latest version is V20240327, and the previous version is V20240311.
    Please check if you can obtain the V20240327 version.
    If there is a failure to retrieve the latest database, please provide the device's web GUI to me via PM for further investigation.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,455  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @c777,

The Geo IP database would not change frequently.
    The latest version is V20240327, and the previous version is V20240311.
    Please check if you can obtain the V20240327 version.
    If there is a failure to retrieve the latest database, please provide the device's web GUI to me via PM for further investigation.

• c777
    Options

Hi Zyxel_Cooldia

Thanks for the feedback, the update went live on Friday. Usually they were more regular.
    It would be interesting to be able to choose daily updates in addition to the weekly ones in a future firmware.

Have a nice day!

• c777
    Options

Hi,

I've had an answer before, but I don't understand the approach of updating the geoip punctually, whereas some time ago we had these updates 1 or 2 times a week.

The cybersecurity articles all say that the period is really critical, in the middle of a cyber war, and living in France I don't think my country is held in very high esteem by certain nations.

I confess that reducing these updates at the moment leaves me perplexed and feeds my paranoia.

In short, more regular updates would give me more confidence in Zyxel and be good for my mental health.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Security Highlight