Access network printer & more

Options
OlivierCM
OlivierCM Posts: 9
First Anniversary First Comment

Hello, so I have been struggling to add a printer to my network without success. I have a relatively large home network. From my provider I have first a GS1350 Switch and a CPL network. From the GS1350 I have then a GS1900 switch for another part of the house. At the end different wifi network (either CPL or GS controlled). internet is ok for all. But my problem concerns installing network printer. on CPL it is ok, on GS switches it is not. I thus believe the configuration of the switches is not adequate. I am lost with all the options i have in the configuration of those switches. What would be the most simple configuration (basic Hub) so that security will only be managed by my provider config but then the switches will allow any communication inside my house?

All Replies

• smb_corp_user
    smb_corp_user Posts: 161  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Have you checked with your provider that they allow computer-to-computer network traffic on the same local network (LAN), or is that restricted as well?

My experience with USG model routers is that you can add or verify that there is a Policy Rule named LAN (or LAN1 or LAN-to-LAN) where all traffic is allowed, no restrictions applied.

Do you have any policy rule sets available for review or editing?

• OlivierCM
    OlivierCM Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

Thanks for your help. No I haven't checked but the point is that on CPL network (under the provider) the network behave as i wish it would; but on the GS network it doesn't. This is why i think it is more a problem of GS configuration, with all options far beyond my knowledge, than a provider policy (or configuration) that prevent my printer to be accessible on the GS network

• smb_corp_user
    smb_corp_user Posts: 161  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 3
    Options

Fair enough, then it seems your problem is with some kind of Firewall or Firewall Policy Rule setup on your Zyxel units. Not sure how that works on switches, have you tried looking in the manuals to see if there are any named security settings like Firewall or Policy?

(edit: I do not have any experience with other Zyxel devices besides USG and Firewall Routers. I also find it very different and somewhat odd that internet providers can deliver LAN security control services for a customer's own network and devices, so I have no idea how that works.)

Security Highlight