Strange IPV6 related behaviour shown by a XMG1915-10E configured for DHCPV6

Options
cbeckstein
cbeckstein Posts: 17  Freshman Member
10 Comments
edited March 27 in Switch

Latest firmware V4.80(ACGO.1)20240305 | 03/05/2024

IPV6 configured for DHCPV6 (VLAN 1), Fritz!Box as DHCPV6 server, which assigns DNS, IA-PD, and IA-NA; Fritz!Box also assigning ULAs for fd00::

IPV6 client setup for the XMG1915-10E with IA-NA, Rapid Commit, DNS, and Domain List set

IPV6 router discovery configured for VLAN 1 with both: M and O flags set

With this setup, IPV6 seems to work fine, with two exceptions:

1. The switch seems not to acquire an fd00 address from the Fritz!Box, although the Fritz!Box is set to assign ULAs for the IPV6 prefix fd00::

I can log in to the switch with its fe80 address but not with the corresponding fd00 one;

2. With the above setup, i.e., IPV6 enabled and working, and the switch configured as DHCPV6 client,

when I click the "Restart DHCPV6 client" button in the IPv6 Status —> IPv6 Interface Details window (this window says BOTH: "Static IPV6 active ON" and "DHCPV6 Client active ON"), the switch shows the following irritating message:

"Error: should enable ipv6 and dhcp6 client in this vlan"

and does not seem to restart the client

Any idea why those two things happen?

Maybe due to bugs in the latest firmware?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 577  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @cbeckstein

Regarding the issue you mentioned on this thread:

The switch seems not to acquire an fd00 address from the Fritz!Box, although the Fritz!Box is set to assign ULAs for the IPV6 prefix fd00::

The switch does not have any limitations for the fd00:: subnet. Since we do not have a Fritz!Box on our site, we would require more time to conduct a lab test and identify the root cause of this issue.

With the above setup, i.e., IPV6 enabled and working, and the switch configured as DHCPV6 client,

when I click the "Restart DHCPV6 client" button in the IPv6 Status —> IPv6 Interface Details window (this window says BOTH: "Static IPV6 active ON" and "DHCPV6 Client active ON"), the switch shows the following irritating message:

We have confirmed that this is a bug. We are currently working on a solution for it. If there is any progress, we will update you soon.

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @cbeckstein

Regarding the issue you mentioned on this thread:

The switch seems not to acquire an fd00 address from the Fritz!Box, although the Fritz!Box is set to assign ULAs for the IPV6 prefix fd00::

The switch does not have any limitations for the fd00:: subnet. Since we do not have a Fritz!Box on our site, we would require more time to conduct a lab test and identify the root cause of this issue.

With the above setup, i.e., IPV6 enabled and working, and the switch configured as DHCPV6 client,

We have confirmed that this is a bug. We are currently working on a solution for it. If there is any progress, we will update you soon.

Kay

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @cbeckstein

Since we don’t have a Fritz!Box on our site, we are trying to assign an IPv6 fd00:: address to the switch via a virtual server to replicate the scenario. Accessing it poses no problem.

Regarding this issue, we suggest seeking support from your Fritz!Box for further assistance.

As for the bug with "Restart DHCPV6 client," we will fix it in the next official firmware release. Stay tuned to the https://community.zyxel.com/en/categories/switch-news-and-release for the latest firmware release.

Kay