XGS1250 V2.0 power consumption

Options
NKrupp
NKrupp Posts: 2
First Comment

Dear Support,

my XGS1250 switches behave strangely since I updated them to firmware version 2.0. To save power I disabled all unused ports. I noticed that the switches get quite warm (37 degrees) even with just one connected device (10G SFP+ uplink). I measured the power draw constantly changing between 8 and 11 Watts. When disabling and enabling all unused ports in the web interface again, the power draw is constantly just 6.9 Watts. With firmware version 1.0 I didn't measure the power draw but I noticed that the switches got warmer when enabling more ports. Is there a possible bug in V2.0 that ports that should be disabled are not reall disabled after reboot?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 499  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 24
    Options

Hi @NKrupp

Thank you for reaching out. Please allow me to clarify the issue:

Is there a possible bug in V2.0 that ports that should be disabled are not reall disabled after reboot?

Did you mean that when you disable all unused ports and then reboot the device via the web GUI, the power draw increases to 8-11 Watts?

Conversely, when you enable all unused ports, the power draw decreases to 6.9 Watts, which is unexpectedly lower than when they are disabled. This leads you to suspect that the disable function may not be working properly. Is that correct?

Zyxel Nami

• NKrupp
    NKrupp Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Dear Zyxel Nami,

Let me show you the case:

I have plugged in three devices in ports 1-3 and a 10G SFP+ fiber in port 12.

Now open the web interface and disable unused ports (ports 4-11). Then do a reboot and measure the power consumption (in my case 8-11 Watts). Reopen the web interface and enable ports 4-11 and apply. Then disable the ports again (and apply) and now the power consumption will decrease to 6.9 Watts and the device will stay a few degrees cooler. After a reboot the power consumption will increase to 8-11 Watts again until you redo enabling and disabling.

It seems that the switch enables all ports at startup but it doesn't turn off the ports that should be disabled from the configuration. Only if you enable and disable them again, they will be turned off. Yes, I suspect that the disable function may not be working properly.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 499  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @NKrupp

Thank you for your detailed information.

We have successfully replicated the issue and are currently investigating it. Please wait for our feedback.

Zyxel Nami