Configure 2 Zyxel NWA130BE to a mesh without controller or Nebula Cloud

Options
Diedel
Diedel Posts: 2
First Comment
edited April 28 in WirelessLAN

I am interested in the Zyxel NWA130BE. Although the topic is mentioned from time to time in the forum, I am still not sure about one thing:

Can I configure 2 NWA130BE connected to one Ethernet switch and not managed by a controller or Nebula Cloud to a mesh? The communication between the APs should work across the ethernet connections.

If so, what is the best way to proceed? Is it enough to simply configure the same SSIDs in both access points? Should I operate one access point as the root AP and the other as a repeater AP?

I have attached a drawing.

Thanks in advance!

Diedel

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 596  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Diedel

From the network topology you provided, it seems that you want to connect your APs via Ethernet cable to the switch. In this case, what you're looking to achieve is roaming, not mesh networking. Mesh networking typically involves extending your wireless coverage through wireless connections between access points.

For more details on the difference between roaming and mesh networking, you can refer to this article:

To address your inquiry, if you need to achieve roaming functionality, you simply need to configure both APs with the same SSID, security options and ensure APs have overlapping coverage. This will allow devices to seamlessly roam between the two access points as they move around your network.

However, if you're interested in setting up a mesh network, which extends your AP connection wirelessly, you can do so even in standalone mode. You can follow this guidance for establishing a reliable WDS connection(mesh connection) on standalone APs:

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Diedel

From the network topology you provided, it seems that you want to connect your APs via Ethernet cable to the switch. In this case, what you're looking to achieve is roaming, not mesh networking. Mesh networking typically involves extending your wireless coverage through wireless connections between access points.

For more details on the difference between roaming and mesh networking, you can refer to this article:

To address your inquiry, if you need to achieve roaming functionality, you simply need to configure both APs with the same SSID, security options and ensure APs have overlapping coverage. This will allow devices to seamlessly roam between the two access points as they move around your network.

However, if you're interested in setting up a mesh network, which extends your AP connection wirelessly, you can do so even in standalone mode. You can follow this guidance for establishing a reliable WDS connection(mesh connection) on standalone APs:

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kay

• Diedel
    Diedel Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Hi Kay - Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, I would like to connect all access points with an Ethernet cable. The linked articles are very helpful. Especially regarding the general difference between mesh and roaming.

I have researched that the 802.11k/v/r protocols should be supported for seamless switching of clients from one AP to another.

According to the linked documentation, these protocols are only supported with the Nebula Cloud solution. Have I understood this correctly?

If so, is this feature free in the Nebula Cloud?

Best regards
    Dirk

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited April 29
    Options

Hi @Diedel

Regarding the 802.11k/v/r protocol, it's not only supported in Nebula Cloud mode; you can also set it up in standalone mode. For more detailed information, you can refer to this article:

If you're interested in managing it through Nebula Cloud mode, these features are included in the Base (free) Pack. With the Base Pack of Nebula org, you can easily manage your APs on a single platform, with features like SSID settings, radio settings, device monitoring, firmware management, and more.

However, if you want advanced features such as WiFi Aid and Wireless Health, you'll need to upgrade your Nebula organization to the Pro Pack. For more information on the advanced features supported by Pro Pack Nebula CC, you can visit this site: https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/management-and-reporting/cloud-networking-management-nebula-control-center/subscribe-nebula

Kay