What are ports 25,26,27,28 on Zyxel GS1920-24HP?

Options
Lorcan
Lorcan Posts: 16
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 29 in Switch

I have a Zyxel GS1920-24HP and a non PoE GS1920-24.

I dont understand the function of combo RJ-45/SFP ports 25-28. There are four RJ-45 ports labelled 25,26,27,28. Then right beside it, there are four SFP ports labelled 25,26,27,28. Am I able to use all 8 of these ports at the same time? or if I use port 25 for ethernet, can I not use port 25 for fibre at the same time?

Also, are these RJ45 ports special? should I use them to connect to my router or to other switches?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,848  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 29 Answer ✓
    Options

Some people use these ports as uplink ports but can be used as normal.

If you use port 25 for ethernet you can't use the port 25 for SFP or the other way round

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Lorcan ,

Both Ethernet port and an SFP port on the GS1920-24HPv2 switch (assuming your device is of this model) also support 100/1000Mbps. The differences are:

• Ethernet Port: Supports RJ45 connectors that use copper cables (such as Cat5e, Cat6, etc.). These are standard for local network connections and are primarily designed for short to moderate distances (up to 100 meters) which is sufficient for most intra-building connections.
    • SFP Port: Designed for SFP transceivers that can support fiber optic cables. This flexibility allows SFP ports to be used for long-range fiber optic connections. It can effectively transmit data over much longer distances—from a few hundred meters to several kilometers—ideal for connecting different buildings or facilities.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,848  Guru Member
    edited April 29 Answer ✓
    Options

Some people use these ports as uplink ports but can be used as normal.

If you use port 25 for ethernet you can't use the port 25 for SFP or the other way round

• Lorcan
    Options

Thanks

• Lorcan
    Options

Do you know what the difference is between using a Ethernet port, e.g. Port 25, instead of SFP port, e.g. Port 25? What is the advantage of SFP Fibre over Gigabit Ethernet? Is it that fibre can travel longer distances without losing transfer speed?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Lorcan ,

Both Ethernet port and an SFP port on the GS1920-24HPv2 switch (assuming your device is of this model) also support 100/1000Mbps. The differences are:

• Ethernet Port: Supports RJ45 connectors that use copper cables (such as Cat5e, Cat6, etc.). These are standard for local network connections and are primarily designed for short to moderate distances (up to 100 meters) which is sufficient for most intra-building connections.
    • SFP Port: Designed for SFP transceivers that can support fiber optic cables. This flexibility allows SFP ports to be used for long-range fiber optic connections. It can effectively transmit data over much longer distances—from a few hundred meters to several kilometers—ideal for connecting different buildings or facilities.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!