NWA50AX Pro: simultaneous WPA2-PSK and WPA3-PSK on the same SSID

Options
mMontana
mMontana Posts: 1,337  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited May 2 in WirelessLAN

As the topic title, I'm running firmware 6.65(ACGE.1) and I would like to know if i can setup both WPA2 and WPA3 on the same SSID at the same time.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

As of now, when you configure an SSID with the security setting set to WPA3-PSK, the Transition Mode is automatically enabled and cannot be altered. This configuration allows both WPA2 and WPA3 wireless clients to connect to the SSID.

If you prefer to have only WPA3-capable clients connect to the SSID, please consult this article for guidance.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• mMontana
    edited May 2
    Options

I can understand the underlying logic. However, without documentation readout or your explaination, I could not be sure if WPA3 setting into WebUI could allow (or not) WPA2 working at the same time.

I don't know if one more option can be setup into future versions.

WPA3 ⇒ ONLY WPA3
    WPA3-mix ⇒ like current one.

Fun fact: outside the "setting", at the list of securities, the "mix" part appear :-D Little inconsinstency into wording between the two configuration pages.

Also: name of profiles and SSIDs can be edited if I download config file and edit. So, why not allow name editing from WebUI?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Regarding WPA3, we will carefully consider your suggestion. Should there be any enhancements, we will inform users in the WIRELESS release note .

Regarding the issue with being unable to edit the SSID profile name and SSID name by GUI, could you please provide a screenshot and your configuration steps? As of now, you should be able to edit both the SSID profile names and SSID names if they are created manually.

• mMontana
    Options

I'm not able to edit the name of security profile. I might be able, if I unload and edit the file, that renaming it into config file might… have the name I want.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

It appears that you used the Setup Wizard for your configuration. The Wizard is designed for first-time users and provides a guided setup process, which does not support the profile name changing on GUI after completion.
    If you created the Security profile manually, you have the flexibility to change the profile name as shown in the screenshot.

• mMontana
    Options

This explain why that's like this. However this makes not a lot of sense for me.

I use a feature realized from the producer for speedup the setting process.. I find myself restrictied in editing ad change the setup?

I mean… I use a feature that is proposed as default (yet skippable) and this reduce the features and the options (in some way) for configuring the device? It's not that helpful… and should not proposed as the first step. Only recalled if needed, or not limiting setup in any way.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @mMontana ,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and suggestions.

As of now, the Wizard setup functions as previously described. Recognizing that the ability to customize profile names after the initial setup via the Wizard might be more convenient for users, we have already initiated a discussion on this topic. You can view and contribute to this idea here:

Ability to customize profile names after setup via Wizard — Zyxel Community

Thank you for using Zyxel products and service.