SSH Port Forwarding on Zyxel VMG8924-B10A not working

Options
2»

All Replies

• soulpawa
    soulpawa Posts: 12  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options
    OK, finally I was able to connect to my ssh, but I'm getting this error now when I want to log in with my user and password.

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

• soulpawa
    edited January 2019
    Options
    the weird question here is this:

if I'm connecting with pi shows me an error, with an admin is asking for a password, but I have and the default port for ssh is 30007 and here is working without, really weird
  • Royoux
    Royoux Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Options
    Hi ,

I think you may can connect your ssh client to VMG8924 LAN side first.  And the ssh client connect to your raspberry(should be 192.168.1.39) by VMG8924 LAN IP.   Make sure your Linux ssh client can connect to raspberry well.
    If work , just move your ssh client to WAN side to test.  
    If not work , you can check the settings between your ssh client and raspberry.
    This might more easy to debug for this case. .
  • soulpawa
    Options
    I guess if I can connect to VMG8924 LAN the would be not possible to jump to my rasperry because as far as I know this router VMG8924 LAN doesn't have ssh server, let me know if I'm wrong, otherwise, if that option was possible, all the NAT rules should not be needed, or I'm wrong?
  • SEJ
    SEJ Posts: 111  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    I guess you misunderstand that.
    VMG8924 indeed has SSH interface as a secured command line interface. 
    As you set the SSH port to 30007 on the router's remote management page, that action is set the VMG8924's SSH port to 30007.
    According to your screenshot, you might still connect to the VMG8924's SSH interface, not the PI in the LAN side, that's why Royoux asked you check the PI's SSH is actual work or not.
    In out understanding, you would like to access your PI via SSH from WAN side, that's why you set port forwarding, right?
  • soulpawa
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't know if it helps, but I'm connected from outside my lan, and I'm not able to have access in my LAN, pi is working because I have a webcam up and running.

if I want to connect using port 30007 I'm not going to anywhere, if I'm trying to connect without -p 30007 I only get rejected on user pi, all other users I can add a password, I can provide a ssh -v for pi use if you want/need.

thank you!

• Royoux
    First Comment
    Options
    VMG8924 supported management this router by ssh. So it is possible your ssh client connected to VMG8924. 

I have a easy way to check that you connected to pi or VMG8924.
    Please disable VMG8924 ssh service in remote management.  You can find this setting from maintenance => Remote MGMT

If after setting this configuration and your ssh not get respond(such as time out.)
    That is means your ssh was connecting to VMG8924 in previous test. You can use the same way I provided before , connect the ssh client to VMG8924 LAN to debug the problem between ssh client and rasperry. 
    If other situation , please send me your new configuration and description detail about that.

By the way , also explain about "because as far as I know this router VMG8924 LAN doesn't have ssh server," . In your case ,you should want to connect the rasperry by your ssh client. In this case , no matter VMG8924 support ssh function or not , VMG8924 only need correct forward the packets (frame) to your rasperry.  Then VMG8924  done its job. The ssh server must be rasperry. not VMG8924.  So if VMG8924 did its job , you should debug between the ssh client and rasperry, that is why I ask you put the ssh client to VMG8924 LAN, this is most easy way to debug between ssh client and rasperry. No need consider other condition, test in the environment point to point,

• soulpawa
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I disabled disable VMG8924 ssh service in remote management and I was able to connect to my raspberry, but seems like is a problem with my user or ssh keys now.

regarding your question:
    "By the way , also explain about "because as far as I know this router VMG8924 LAN doesn't have ssh server," . In your case ,you should want to connect the rasperry by your ssh client. In this case , no matter VMG8924 support ssh function or not , VMG8924 only need correct forward the packets (frame) to your rasperry.  Then VMG8924  done its job. The ssh server must be rasperry. not VMG8924.  So if VMG8924 did its job , you should debug between the ssh client and rasperry, that is why I ask you put the ssh client to VMG8924 LAN, this is most easy way to debug between ssh client and rasperry. No need consider other condition, test in the environment point to point,"

I was answering your previous answer;

Hi ,

I think you may can connect your ssh client to VMG8924 LAN side first.  And the ssh client connect to your raspberry(should be 192.168.1.39) by VMG8924 LAN IP.   Make sure your Linux ssh client can connect to raspberry well. 

thank you

• Royoux
    First Comment
    Options
    It seems the router worked well. You may can contact the rasperry support guys to continue resolve the ssh problem now.
  • soulpawa
    Options
    sure, thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards