Looking for USG Flex 100 model differences

xsentinel
xsentinel Posts: 13  Freshman Member
First Comment

I have a USG40 and I'm looking to upgrade to a USG FLEX but I'm having a hard time figuring out which one to upgrade to. It looks like I should get a USG Flex 100 but there appears to be at least 2 different models; USG Flex 100 and a USG Flex 100H.

So I'm trying to find out what's the difference between them? The "H" is more money obviously so there must be something.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 3,318  Guru Member
    100 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary
    edited October 17

The H models are faster and newer but features are still being added to it depending on what you need

The Flex 100 may limit your speed depending on how fast you what to go

Going by SPI Firewall Throughput may not help you for TCP speed test

Flex 200 900Mbps

Flex 200H 4,000Mbps

• jonatan
    jonatan Posts: 184  Master Member
    5 Answers First Comment Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary

Take the new FLEX H series, FLEX will most likely be in EOL status by the end of 2024. The ATP and FLEX models are already too old.

• xsentinel
    First Comment

Right now I am getting around 300 to 400mb/s but for this cost I would like to get something that could do around 1 gb/s just in case my speed goes up again. USG40 just can't handle those speeds.

So the "H" series is the same kind of thing but more powerful hardware? Same OS I assume? Would I be able to migrate the config of my USG40 over or would I have to start from scratch again?

• PeterUK

New uOS for the new hardware "H" series you would need to start from scratch again yes.

• xsentinel
    First Comment

Is the new OS similar to the old USG40 OS or is there a steep learning curve? Harder or easier? Thanks for your help by the way.

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,380  Guru Member
    50 Answers 1000 Comments Friend Collector Fifth Anniversary

IMVHO currently Flex H is not "on par" as features with Flex series.

It's important to verify if Flex H will satisfy any of the services provided by current device.

Also… Flex series is local and cloud; both paths are available with slight differences between the two admin modalities. Flex H seems a lot "Nebula first", so more than one features can possibile become from "currently available" to "on subscription".

Last but not least: Zyxel will invest much more on Flex H lineup to the future for more features and functions. Also, Flex H will last longer as support.

• xsentinel
    First Comment

Well all I'm really looking for is a good hardware firewall. I don't use subscription services like anti-virus or the like.

But what I do require is the ability to administer the unit locally. I don't want to use any kind of "cloud" or remote admin interface. Can the 100H be administered locally without need for cloud or internet?

Also I require the ability to add my own rules to the firewall to customize my setup. I assume this is possible too.

• PeterUK
    edited October 20

Yes the 100H can be administered locally

• xsentinel
    First Comment

Alright then. I guess I'll get a 100H and see if it fits the bill for me. Hopefully it will be a great upgrade to my old USG40 and I can figure out how to set it up.

Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,380  Guru Member
    50 Answers 1000 Comments Friend Collector Fifth Anniversary

@xsentinel hi,

at the end of the migration/replacement of USG40, if you're willing to share, I'd love to read info, nice things and complicated one from your experience.

Security Highlight