Best Zyxel solution for SMB (50 users)

tczauderna
tczauderna Posts: 6  Freshman Member
Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula
edited October 23 in Switch

Hello,

I have a dilemma when choosing a switch. I have a client who is relatively small, 50 users, but also has 2 servers connected in a Hyper-V cluster, 2 Datastores all based on Fortigate 60e and Netgear XS728T.

My goal is to improve the segmentation and performance of this solution and I wonder if it is worth the investment.

Therefore, the question is which switches do you think should be used in such an environment and why.

I forgot to add that the main application environment is SAP, i.e. flying SQL

In general, I'm also wondering what the delay is on the XGS2230 and 37xx 46xx switches, because Zyxel is probably the only manufacturer that doesn't openly state it

All Replies

• tczauderna
    Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula

I forgot to add that the main application environment is SAP, i.e. flying SQL

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 2,290  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate

Hi @tczauderna,

If you want to a zyxel switch that is similar with the Netgear XS728T, which is a smart managed switch, you may consider our XGS1935 or XGS2220.

XGS1935 Series is Lite-L3 Smart Managed Switch that has 4 10G fiber ports.
    https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/switch/24-48-port-gbe-lite-l3-smart-managed-switch-with-4-10g-uplink-xgs1935-series

XGS2220 Series is Managed L3 Access Switch that has 2 multi-giga ethernet ports and 4 10G fiber ports. It also has Multilevel CLI.
    https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/switch/24-48-port-gbe-l3-access-switch-with-6-10g-uplink-xgs2220-series

About the main application, could you describe more about what specifications or features these service requires?

About the delay inform, may I know what specific value you are looking for?

• tczauderna

Thank you for answering your questions, ideally the switch should be flexible in these parameters:

Server:

Direct connected servers

High throughput:
    To handle a large number of SQL queries, the switch should have high throughput, here in peaks there may be spikes, enter the form, usually there is a lot of small-scale generation or large reports transfer a lot of data in peaks and then the switch rests :)

Low latency:

Key to responsiveness in the SAP environment. Here, on the example of a card from Netgear, you can see https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/M4300.pdf I know that I had a conversation with a gentleman from HP and he automatically rejected some of my switches due to these delays.

QoS (Quality of Service):

To prioritize network traffic related to SQL queries.
    Redundancy and reliability: Important to ensure the continuity of the system (Small environment option)

Manageability:

Ability to monitor and manage network traffic (Small environment option) - I don't have any switches on the lab right now but I plan to expand monitoring, e.g. in zabbix