Configuration and explanation to the behavior of Storm Control on Nebula switch.

Zyxel_Adam
Zyxel_Adam Posts: 77  Zyxel Employee
edited May 25 in Nebula Switch
Storm Control is a handy layer 2 feature to help network administrator to limit the broadcast, multicast, and DLF packets per second(pps).

However, there are majority of people may have issue with our Storm Control, such as:
  1. Why the switch event log shows my switch has detected broadcast and multicast log? Is there really a loop in my network?
  2. Why does the event log prints broadcast and multicast detected log even the setting of Storm Control is disabled?
  3. Why I increase the value of Storm Control to a very high number, but it always detected broadcast and multicast 100 pps, is it works?

For question 1:
Why the switch event log shows my switch has detected broadcast and multicast log? Is there really a loop in my network?
If you have seen this logs as following, it may not mean that your network exists a loop. It just notices you that there is a port received exceed the default 100 pps for broadcast and multicast.

For question 2:
Why does the event log prints broadcast and multicast detected log even the setting of Storm Control is disabled?
The mechanism of Storm Control on NCC is able to detect broadcast, multicast, and DLF packets when Storm Control feature is disabled. There is no button to disable this feature.

For question 3:
Why I increase the value of Storm Control to a very high number, but it always detected broadcast and multicast at 100 pps, Why? Is it works?
Storm Control feature needs to be enabled after changing the value for broadcast, multicast, and DLF column. It will not be functioning if the feature is disabled.

Nevertheless, there is a feature request queue on our road map for Storm Control is that changes the value while Storm Control is disabled, it will detect the modified number instead of default 100 pps.

Configure Storm Control
Location path: Switch > Switch ports > select and edit one of the port

After adjust the configuration, click SAVE button to make it works.

Adam
Sign In to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click on this button!