Setting LAN Port speed on USG

Options
AWUSupport
AWUSupport Posts: 43  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Security
We would like to hard set the port speed of the LAN ports on our ZyWall USG 110 to 1000 Full Duplex rather than auto-negotiation.

Via telnet I can certainly set LAN ports to full or half duplex, however with speed the only choice is 10 or 100. Where is the choice for 1000 for setting as 1 Gigagbit?

Comments

• Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    @AWUSupport
    As our design, USG Series can be fixed the port speed on 10M or 100M
    I would like to know what situation you need to hard set the port speed of Lan ports to 1000M? 
    Charlie

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,771  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

If your not able to get 1Gb by auto then something is wrong with your cabling or connected equipment.  

• AWUSupport
    Options
    @AWUSupport
    As our design, USG Series can be fixed the port speed on 10M or 100M
    I would like to know what situation you need to hard set the port speed of Lan ports to 1000M? 
    Charlie

Charlie,

We have a managed HP Procurve Gigabit PoE switch connected to one of the ZyWall LAN ports - short brand new 1 metre Cat 6 cable. Both the ZyWall and HP Switch shows a 1000HD connection.

However with both devices on auto negotiate, any thing connected to the HP Gigabit Switch does not get the delivered with DHCP from the ZyWall, or if set to static IP for any device connected they cannot communicate back through the ZyWall either. Have also tried setting HP Switch to 1000 HD rather than auto negotiate and no difference.

However if I set the ZyWall LAN port to 100 HD and HP switch to still Auto then everything works immediately via the HP Gigabit Switch back through the ZyWall. This is also the same if I set the port speed on the HP Gigabit Switch to 100 HD and set ZyWall LAN port back to auto-negotiation.

None the wiser what the issue might be I thought if I could set the ZyWall to 1000 HD and also the HP Switch then I eliminate auto negotiate being my issue here.

I have tried different ethernet cables, different ports on HP Switch and ZyWall LAN ports plus another HP Gigabit Switch - same issue occurs.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Dale.
  • AWUSupport
    Options
    PeterUK said:

If your not able to get 1Gb by auto then something is wrong with your cabling or connected equipment.  

Peter,

See my answer to Charlie. No issue with Cat 6 cable and same issue with any connected switch I try. There is some auto-negotiation issue going on at the ZyWall I believe.

Cheers,
    Dale.
  • Blabababa
    Blabababa Posts: 151  Master Member
    Options
    @AWUSupport
    Your symptom is weird, some questions:
    1. Is the link LED "on" when setting the port at Gigabit and connected to HP switch?
    2. What if you connect this port to a laptop(with Gigabit ETH)? Symptom still exist?

• AWUSupport
    Options
    Blabababa said:
    @AWUSupport
    Your symptom is weird, some questions:
    1. Is the link LED "on" when setting the port at Gigabit and connected to HP switch?
    2. What if you connect this port to a laptop(with Gigabit ETH)? Symptom still exist?

Yes link light is on both at the ZyWall LAN port and teh ZyWall LAN port - this is why we see they are both connected at 1000 HD.

Have tried a laptop directly connected and not issue, Gigabit connection and DHCP delivered too. 
  • Blabababa
    Blabababa Posts: 151  Master Member
    Options
    hmm.... sounds like some kind of interoperability with Procurve PoE switch. Maybe you can put a Gigabit dummy switch in between to see if it works?
  • AWUSupport
    Options
    Tried a managed Cisco Gigabit switch and exactly the same issue. Surely that means it has to be something back at the ZyWall.
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    @AWUSupport
    Since we have not received this similar issue from other region before, if possible, please private message you configuration to me for checking.
    Moreover, have you tried to reset the device before the test?
    Charlie
  • AWUSupport
    Options
    @AWUSupport
    Since we have not received this similar issue from other region before, if possible, please private message you configuration to me for checking.
    Moreover, have you tried to reset the device before the test?
    Charlie
    Charlie,

I will try a reset of the device next week and report back to you. We also have 2 other units so will also test with one of those.

Thank you for your assistance and suggestions so far.

Cheers,
    Dale.

Security Highlight