NWA50AX: Extending existing WLAN over ethernet

Options
Hello,

I have a router that also acts as an AP. The WiFi signal, however, is not strong enough and doesn't reach all the rooms it's supposed to reach.
Luckily, I have ethernet cables that go to these rooms.
I wanted to use the Zyxel NWA50AX model to extend the existing WLAN in the rooms where the WiFi signal is bad/non-existent and this using the existing ethernet cables in order to keep a fast internet connection.

The problem is that I'm only able to create a new AP with a different SSID and different credentials. This, however, is not usable as you need to manually switch to a different WiFi on your device when you switch rooms.

What's the best way on doing that?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nathan
    Zyxel_Nathan Posts: 38  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Dear @angelo5432,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

It should be feasible to create a same SSID and credentials (security mode/password) as your existing WLAN in the NWA50AX model to do auto-connect between APs (unless there’s invalid setting that is not able to be configured in the NWA50AX, e.g., the length of SSID name is more than 32 characters).

You may refer to the following steps to configure SSID names and credentials on the Nebula:
    1. Go to Nebula > Access point > SSID settings.
    Under simple mode, it can easily add a SSID, and configure the name and credentials of the SSID.

2. After creating the SSID, you can disable Simple mode, then click “Edit” to make changes of the SSID settings with more options.

3. On SSID settings page, you can configure the security mode and password.
    After finishing, please click “Back”.

4. Click “Save” to save the configuration.

If there are further questions, please let us know.
    Thank you.

Regards,
    Nathan

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nathan
    Zyxel_Nathan Posts: 38  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Dear @angelo5432,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

It should be feasible to create a same SSID and credentials (security mode/password) as your existing WLAN in the NWA50AX model to do auto-connect between APs (unless there’s invalid setting that is not able to be configured in the NWA50AX, e.g., the length of SSID name is more than 32 characters).

You may refer to the following steps to configure SSID names and credentials on the Nebula:
    1. Go to Nebula > Access point > SSID settings.
    Under simple mode, it can easily add a SSID, and configure the name and credentials of the SSID.

2. After creating the SSID, you can disable Simple mode, then click “Edit” to make changes of the SSID settings with more options.

3. On SSID settings page, you can configure the security mode and password.
    After finishing, please click “Back”.

4. Click “Save” to save the configuration.

If there are further questions, please let us know.
    Thank you.

Regards,
    Nathan
  • angelo5432
    Options
    Thank you very much Nathan.
    It just works very nicely!

In the end, the solution was much easier than I imagined 😉

Nebula Tips & Tricks