Cant access my NAS326

Options
13»

All Replies

• MatsG
    MatsG Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes that command listed a lot of folders... maybe I have to many older because not all are shown with this command?!

I have a folder named Install ... and that doesn't show.

If I use this command find /i-data/sysvol/ -type d -name "foldername" then I find Install

But I don't find my lost folder with this command!?

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hm, strange. find + grep should show 'Install', don't know why it doesn't.
    According to e2fsck there are 4789 files (+directories) with a total of +/- 68GB on that filesystem, which means it's almost empty. Can that be right?
    If not, you could try low level recovery. PhotoRec can recover files with a recognizable structure without help of the filesystem. So it doesn't matter if the filesystem is corrupt (or even unknown), but the downside is that information provided by the filesystem is also not available. Like timestamps, file and directory names.
    An other option is to try to repair the filesystem. Your output of e2fsck doesn't show much lost inode, but I don't know if it is possible that somehow the shown lost inodes can be chained to other data.
  • MatsG
    Options
    Yes its a pretty new NAS and I have not used i much.. around 38Gb is used according to storage manager and the same when checking in explorer.

Just found out that when looking in my Windows file explorer that I have a folder named "Shared"  which isnt a "System default share" but I cant access it.
    This folder can't be seen in File Browser that belong to the web gui to Zyxel.
  • MatsG
    Options
    The Shared folder is back
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    Are you still missing something?
  • MatsG
    Options
    Yes I am still missing at least a folder.

I did remove one disk and hooked up to my pc with a usb docking station and ran Photorec, found a lot of JPG-files which is missing
    I also tested HEtman RAID recovoery.. but i can't see the missing folder itself but I can see files..

I dont understand why I cant see the correctfolder at all.

Very strange for me.
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    I dont understand why I cant see the correctfolder at all.
    As it's not clear what the initial problem with your NAS was, it's guessing. But I can think of 2 reasons.
    1) Somehow the directory is simply deleted. On lower level that means that it's inode and the inodes of the files inside, and the used diskspace are marked 'available'. But the actual content of the files is not overwritten. So as long as the disk space is not used by other files, PhotoRec can find them. And maybe your raid recovery program also, don't know how that works.
    2) There was a file system corruption, and somehow that got repaired, and lost clusters were either not recognizable, or not stored in lost+found.
    I had a look, on my NAS520 (which shares the major part of the firmware) the program e2fsck can be executed by /sbin/zyshd. which can (only) be called from the webinterface. So it is possible to initiate a filesystem check from the webinterface, but I don't know how.
    And again, a filesystem repair only repairs the filesystem. It doesn't touch the files itself, or the diskspace outside the files. So PhotoRec can find the files, when the filesystem simply forgot about them. The data stays available until it's overwritten by another file.

(For completeness: when you have an SSD, and your OS supports TRIM, things are different. Here the OS tells the SSD which parts of the disk are no longer in use by the filesystem, so the SSD can erase them in advance (on an SSD erasing takes time, and you have to erase a sector before it can be written again). So on an SSD lost files can be really lost)

Consumer Product Help Center