PPPoE credentials bug ?

Sébastien
Sébastien Posts: 41  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hi everyone,

I'm facing a strange situation with Nebula on a 3 sites organization that I have set up about 1 year ago. It was a completely new installation.

The organization has 3 sites with VDSL2 modem set up in bridge mode. Nebula  configuration had been set up before the physical installation on-site (3 x USG Flex 100).

I received my PPPoE credentials from ISP and each one gives me a fixed public IP.

I had someting like :

• PPPoE username xxxx.f1 - xxx.xxx.xxx.112
  • PPPoE username xxxx.f2 - xxx.xxx.xxx.113
  • PPPoE username xxxx.f3 - xxx.xxx.xxx.114
Each one with the same password.

I made a mistake somewhere in the configuration (mea culpa), and I switched the PPPoE credentials (in Nebula configuration) from sites f2 and f3 so I had fixed public IP 113 on site f3 and 114 on site f2. So it was the right S/N at the right place but the wrong PPPoE username.

This is a problem because at ISP there is a confusion between sites physical addresses.

So I logged in Nebula and for both f2 and f3 sites I switched the credentials in Firewall->Interface->wan1 and clicked Save. It took a time to work (had to reboot several times) but finally I had the right fixed public and wan IPs.

The 3 sites are connected by VPN, in the VPN orchestrator I can now see:
  • site 1 public IP xxx.112 wan ip xxx.112
  • site 2 public IP xxx.113 wan ip xxx.113
  • site 3 public IP xxx.114 wan ip xxx.114
And all the Nebula configurations are up to date (Configuration status:
Up to date). If the configuration is up to date, it means that the right PPPoE credentials are in place.  

It is what I thought because it's not the case : when the appliance is rebooted, I have someting like that :

• site 1 public IP xxx.112 wan ip xxx.112
  • site 2 public IP xxx.114 wan ip xxx.113
  • site 3 public IP xxx.113 wan ip xxx.114
The public IPs of sites 2 and 3 had switched again ! But not the wan IPs ! When checking the configuration the usernames (PPPoE) are the good ones however.

And again I have to change the PPPoE credentials, reboot, and reboot again until I get the right IPs for public and wan interfaces.

Please note that on site 1, where the configuration were correct from the beginning, the problem does not occur, I always get the right IP for both public and wan interface.

The customer was not satisfied because of the multiple connection losses, so I decided to go on site and to do the configuration again from scratch. I removed the 2 appliances from the organization and went again on site to do a new ZTP but the problem is still there !

Just for a try, I decided to use my own PPPoE credentials for my personnal internet connection. Mine has a dynamic public IP not fixed. The appliance is online, I change the username and password with mine, and I receive a correct dynamic public and wan IP. But again, when I reboot the public IP switches to the fixed IP (i.e. xxx.114 for site 2) and the previous dynamic IP for the wan interface ! It's crazy !

So am I doing something wrong ? Is it a bug ? I don't know but when the configuration is up to date, when rebooting, why do the credentials change ?

Please note that everything is working fine until reboot. At each reboot I have to intervene to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot for you support because I don't know what to do anymore.

Regards,

Sébastien

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hello @Sébastien,

No, we didn't change anything on the customer site. We can check the change log(Org-wide > Monitor) to see if any admin account done the change, and when did he change.

For the behavior of the WAN configure, it could be the new WAN config could not connect with Nebula CC. When this situation happens, you will see the warning when access Interface page, and the device will automatically change back to the last WAN config which works fine. Please clarity if this is the case.

Could you provide the org/site name for us in the private message? And please enable Zyxel Support Access for further checking. (Help > Support Request > Zyxel Support Access)

Thanks!

James

All Replies

• Zyxel_James

Hello @Sébastien,

Could you please enable Zyxel support access and provide org/site name to us in private message? I would like to check on the devices.

Did the event log show anything after the setup or reboot? Also, we could check on Org-wide > Monitor > Change log, to see if any changes at that time.

Moreover, is it possible to arrange a time for a remote session so that you can reproduce the problem for us?

Thank you.

James.

• Sébastien
    Sébastien Posts: 41  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Hello @Zyxel_James,

I had no answer for a few days after my first post so for stability of my customer network I went on both sites that were problematic and changed the WAN configuration from PPPoE to static private IP address (and switched the PPPoE to the ISP router).

The "PPPoE" bug has now disappeared but now I'm getting a "notification - configuration changed" email each time I go to Nebula platform for the site which is still configured as PPPoE on Zyxel USG Flex 100 WAN interface even if I do not change anything to the configuration.

The change is labbeled "CHANGE: GW_FLEX.WAN_PORTS" where old and new values are random data. Have you changed something to my customer org ?

Regards,

Sébastien

• Zyxel_James
    Answer ✓

Hello @Sébastien,

No, we didn't change anything on the customer site. We can check the change log(Org-wide > Monitor) to see if any admin account done the change, and when did he change.

For the behavior of the WAN configure, it could be the new WAN config could not connect with Nebula CC. When this situation happens, you will see the warning when access Interface page, and the device will automatically change back to the last WAN config which works fine. Please clarity if this is the case.

Could you provide the org/site name for us in the private message? And please enable Zyxel Support Access for further checking. (Help > Support Request > Zyxel Support Access)

Thanks!

James

Nebula Tips & Tricks