Speed For Wifi

businessuer
businessuer Posts: 134  Ally Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I am using NWA110AX with 5GHz frequency.
What is the a good speed for this AP?
I am getting below 100Mbps. 
How do I know if this is good or bad? 

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jay
    Zyxel_Jay Posts: 163  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi businessuser,

Welcome Zyxel Community
    You can follow this essay to test your AP Throughput.
    https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/13088/guideline-for-setup-and-proceed-throughput-test
    In a perfect environment, the maximum test value of Wi-Fi will be around 50% - 60% of the theoretical value. With the increase in the number of connected devices and the emergence of other APs/mobile phones in the environment, the throughput that can be assigned to each device will also become lower. Therefore, in addition to simply measuring the speed, we also recommend users consider whether the network is in good condition according to the actual application: such as watching HD Video, video conferencing, web page loading speed...

If you have any problems, please give more information you have 
    or AP diagnostic info for us to do some advanced analysis.

Zyxel_Jay
  • businessuer
    Zyxel_Jay said:
    Hi businessuser,

Welcome Zyxel Community
    You can follow this essay to test your AP Throughput.
    https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/13088/guideline-for-setup-and-proceed-throughput-test
    In a perfect environment, the maximum test value of Wi-Fi will be around 50% - 60% of the theoretical value. With the increase in the number of connected devices and the emergence of other APs/mobile phones in the environment, the throughput that can be assigned to each device will also become lower. Therefore, in addition to simply measuring the speed, we also recommend users consider whether the network is in good condition according to the actual application: such as watching HD Video, video conferencing, web page loading speed...

If you have any problems, please give more information you have or AP diagnostic info for us to do some advanced analysis.

Zyxel_Jay
    Hi,
    Basically the customer is asking what is a good speed for the APs after commissioning.
    Is then any "acceptable range" for this? 
  • Zyxel_Jay

Hi businessuser,

In general scenarios, browsing web page uses 1~2 Mbps, online meeting uses 2~4 Mbps, and 4K video viewing uses 35 Mbps. So the speed of about 100Mbps is enough to serve the needs of most users.

Zyxel_Jay

• businessuer
    Zyxel_Jay said:

Hi businessuser,

In general scenarios, browsing web page uses 1~2 Mbps, online meeting uses 2~4 Mbps, and 4K video viewing uses 35 Mbps. So the speed of about 100Mbps is enough to serve the needs of most users.

Zyxel_Jay

Hi Zyxel_Jay,

You dont understand. 
    In a perfect environment, the maximum test value of Wi-Fi will be around 50% - 60% of the theoretical value. 
    Customer will ask why? 

• man, let me tell you the reason.
    It is totally different between wired and wireless, there are more interferences than wired that will decrease throughput, which includes your environment, and low rate packets transmit air time.
  • businessuer
    man, let me tell you the reason.
    It is totally different between wired and wireless, there are more interferences than wired that will decrease throughput, which includes your environment, and low rate packets transmit air time.
    Is there a formal document to calculate the acceptable range?
    "In a perfect environment, the maximum test value of Wi-Fi will be around 50% - 60% of the theoretical value." 
  • Zyxel_Jay

Hi @businessuer

Any product goes through extensive testing before leaving the factory. In general, our brand is reduced to about 50% to 60% of the speed in the test environment. (Other brand documents claim to be about 40%) .

Because the wireless transmission medium is a wave, there are many conditions that affect the wave in reality, such as humidity, equipment interference, obstacle interference, physical diffraction, refraction, etc., which will affect the path of the wave. To prevent transmission failure, packet loss, and repeated packet reception, wireless packets have a protocol CSMA/CA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access / Collision Avoidance), in short, before sending data, first detect the usage of the channel to determine whether it is used or not. Before transmission, avoid hidden stations that will transmit RTS and CTS packets, please refer to Wiki CSMA/CA for details. Then in the process of this information transmission, because many manage frames (low rate) need to be transmitted, affects data transmission time Transmission time allocation is reduced. 

Of course, there are also protocols 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax supported between the device and AP. Both of them have to support that protocol can be used. The rates of each protocol are different, and the later protocols will support higher rates. (802.11 protocol from Wiki).

In conclusion, there are too many variables in the wireless network, so we can only calculate the ideal value and test in the general environment to get value in the general situation. Compare the difference between these two values. And we got reduced to about 50% to 60% of the speed.

Zyxel_Jay

• businessuer
    Ok. Is there a document by zyxel or something that can say your bandwidth is 1Gbps.
    So ideal bandwidth is 500 to 600Mbps.

However, I am getting 100Mbps when going speedtest on a new site.
    What is the issue? 
  • Greenlight
    Greenlight Posts: 57  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    You can check the Specification page of each AP on Zyxel official website, which indicates the antenna number, support standard and the theoretical data rate of each AP model.

The actual throughput is floating due to different wireless environment, client capability, wireless settings.... In my test, with the Max of 866 mbps, I can only get 1XX or less in my office network. But if I move my device to the home/basement and proceed the same test, with less interference there, I can reach up to 550 mbps.

I'd recommend you to follow the instruction in the first reply to proceed the throughput test, and maybe share your result and wireless settings here, so that we can see if there's anything can be optimized.
  • businessuer
    You can check the Specification page of each AP on Zyxel official website, which indicates the antenna number, support standard and the theoretical data rate of each AP model.

The actual throughput is floating due to different wireless environment, client capability, wireless settings.... In my test, with the Max of 866 mbps, I can only get 1XX or less in my office network. But if I move my device to the home/basement and proceed the same test, with less interference there, I can reach up to 550 mbps.

I'd recommend you to follow the instruction in the first reply to proceed the throughput test, and maybe share your result and wireless settings here, so that we can see if there's anything can be optimized.
    Yes I understand but I have to quote an "acceptable speed" for the client and explain why.