How to set up a smart mesh with NWA50AX?

Varoppe
Varoppe Posts: 3
Friend Collector
edited November 2023 in Nebula
Hi,
I have just purchased 2 NWA50AX. They are connected by POE from the switch that is a TP-Link TL-SG2428P.

How do I set up the Zyxel AP (NWA50AX) to work as a smart mesh, so that clients are handled from one AP to another automatically while walking in the office?

I have a 4 floors office and I would like to purchase 2 more NWA50AX, one for each floor. Yet, only if it is possible to activate a mesh. Otherwise I will need to revert to Ubiquiti.

Thanks for any hint and link to a well described documentation or video tutorial.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @Varoppe

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Using Nebula to manage NWA50AX and build smart mesh can totally meet your requirement, is free and easily setup by just one click.

Here is the step-by-step article for your reference, do not hesitate to contact us if you need help.

[Nebula] How to extend wireless coverage by configure smart mesh?

https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/10160

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• Thanks very much @Zyxel_Bella but this is not exactly the scenario I am looking for.
    See the attached picture with a network example. My NWA50AX AP are mostly connected POE to a Switch and I want to add more as we have 4 floors and on the main floor we want to have 2 AP.

There will be two APs connected wi-fi that will be outside in the patio and garden.

I want to ensure that when moving from one floor to another one, my Laptop or iPhone will connect to the AP of the new floor instead of staying still connected to the old AP, because there is still signal.

I have seen that there is an option in Nebula to enable Smart Steering. Yet, that will drop the client.
    My point is, is there a way to have the AP that hand-shake the client automatically and transparently from the client?

Thanks for your attention and recommendations.
    Varoppe

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @Varoppe

Thank you for drawing the topology and scenario, now we get your point!

After setup smart mesh successfully and all APs are in service with signal covered area, you would like a seamless roaming and steering between APs.

Like you said, smart steering process is to disassociate station by signal threshold instead of trigger roaming that is because roaming is triggered by station, vendors will have different threshold to start scanning.

Thus, we’ll suggest you fine tune the radio power combined with smart steering features. When the signal in covered area drops to lower than -65dBm, most stations start to scan for candidate AP to roam. Then define a proper allow value of smart steering to help station connect.

Hope the suggestions can help you achieve the goal.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

Nebula Tips & Tricks