Help! Cannot figure out how to pass VLAN traffic between two GS1900-XX switches.

Options
Hello,

I've been trying to get a little lab setup using two Zyxel GS1900-XX switches. It works fine if using just the main (GS-1900-24) switch. But no go if using a port on the office (GS1900-16) switch. It seems that VLAN 5 (LAB VLAN) is not traversing the link between the two switches (port 24 on main switch & port 15 on office switch), although VLAN 1 does just fine.

If I plug my laptop into port 5 on the main switch (untagged VLAN 5), it successfully pulls a DHCP address from the VLAN 5 interface on my router connected to the main switch (ports 3-4, LAG, tagged VLAN 5).

If I try to plug the laptop into any of the 6 x VLAN 5 ports (ports 1-6, untagged on office switch) it will not pull a DHCP address and cannot ping the VLAN 5 router interface (10.71.17.254) if I set the address manually.

I am including screenshots of all applicable switch and router settings;

https://imgur.com/gallery/n694Sd7

https://imgur.com/gallery/ENPbyib

I would really appreciate any help I could get from you fine people.

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,639  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @onesmartsheep1,

Is your problem related to the VLAN setting? If yes, please check Switch Handbook for the standalone switch VLAN settings and this topic for the Nebula switch VLAN settings.
    If you still have questions, please feel free to post your question. Our agent will be glad to help.

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi @BJWTech,

Welcome to Zyxel community!
    According to your scenario and configuration, you don't need to enable the VLAN trunk function.
    The switch will follow the static VLAN table and forward the VLAN 5 traffic to uplink. Since the VLAN 5 is a known VLAN, the VLAN trunk function won't be triggered.

For the problem when enabling VLAN trunk can't get a DHCP IP address, I will clarify this part and will have you updated.

Could you disable the VLAN trunk and verify if the problem is solved or not?

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hi @BJWTech,

Good day.
    Is the issue remain?
    If yes, could you help to provide a remote PC for us to access your switch and check this issue?
    Please PM me the Anydesk remote ID and password, we won't change any configuration.
    I have tried to replicate it but can't replicate it.

Zyxel Melen

• onesmartsheep1
    Options
    Has the issue been resolved. Actually. I just have joined the forum and I don't know how to solve the problem, provided I am facing a similar one. please help me get it resolved. I am currently out of all the resources. Thank you, already.  :/
  • Zyxel_Melen
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @onesmartsheep1,

Is your problem related to the VLAN setting? If yes, please check Switch Handbook for the standalone switch VLAN settings and this topic for the Nebula switch VLAN settings.
    If you still have questions, please feel free to post your question. Our agent will be glad to help.

Zyxel Melen

• BJWTech
    Options
    Update: The issue was with my router. For some reason it has to have an untagged interface if using tagged interfaces. So I just chose one to be the untagged and PVID VLAN.

And I don't use any trunk interfaces presently. I had tested both, and it had no affect on the issue I had.

Thanks for the help!