When radar signal detected and channel changes, I lose the mesh network

andynemesis
andynemesis Posts: 2
Friend Collector First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula
I have 3 NWA50AX, one connected by ethernet the others connected as a wifi mesh.

I have noticed that my mesh goes down when a radar signal has been detected and the 2 NWA50AX connected via wifi are no longer connected, and are flashing green and yellow. They do not seem to recover and the only solution I have is to power cycle all 3 access points.

This has happened twice today (and other times in the past) and if I check the logs on both occasions it is showing:

Radar signals have been detected on channel 100
Channel change from 100 to 36 due to a DFS event.

I'm guessing that the 2 wifi access points do not react to this change and lose the mesh.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 528  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

As normal, the repeater AP will be reconnecting and syncing with the root in a few second when the root AP’s DFS channel changed.  

As we didn’t meet the same symptom with you, we would like to have more details with both of your access points info. Could you please help us to enable the Zyxel support at Nebula CC >> Help center > Support request and provide us your org/site name? We will help you to have a further check. 

Kay

Kay

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited December 2022

Hi @andynemesis

After we looked into your site, we found out the main reason that caused your repeater AP can’t connected with the root AP is, there is too much interference with the root 5GHz channel around the event time and causes AP happen beacon miss or stuck issue.
    The root 5GHz channel utilization had increased around event time means that much interference was in the air.

To improve your network performance, we suggested you to enable“Blacklist DFS channels in the presence of radar” and change your 5GHz deployment to “All available channels” instead of disable the channel one by one. You may configure it at Access point >> Configure >> Radio settings >> DCS settings.

Hope this get you well. :D

Kay

Kay

• Hi @Zyxel_Kay

The "inteference" you have highlighted is at 13:35, however as reported in a PM the radar signal was  detected at 13:13 and that was when the mesh AP lost connection. The time you have highlighted above will be when I power cycled the APs  which would presumably explain the "inteference".

So no, I do not think this explains the cause of the issue.

Please investigate around the time of the issue which was 13:13 the first time I encountered the problem that day.

Thanks,

Andy

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited December 2022

Hi @andynemesis

Your AP detected radar signal and changed the channel at Dec 13th, 13:13 and you had a reboot at 13:29. After we analyzed the internal log of your APs, we found out that your AP Smart Mesh didn’t establish successfully between 13:13 – 13:29. Logs indicated that the reasons are related to Channel Utilization (I mentioned previously), the prioritize 5G radio for mesh, Mesh hops, RSSI Threshold, ping packet count or etc.

Kay

Kay

Nebula Tips & Tricks