NAS540 Bootloop, then Upgradekey, now Nothing

Options
13»

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,625  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Thanks for the walk-through. Do you have a theory how the uImage in flash could be damaged?
  • Nas540U2022
    Nas540U2022 Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    Mijzelf said:
    Thanks for the walk-through. Do you have a theory how the uImage in flash could be damaged?
    I'm just guessing here since my 'linux' is not too great, but to me it looks as if the uImage was totally healthy. What was off was the checksum for it, which apparently got changed when it executed the upgrade stick. Since it didn't fit with the installed image barebox thought it was corrupt. This led to my pseudo-bricked box. Why my barebox kept rebooting... no clue though.

• Fefe
    Fefe Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited July 2023
    Options

I used these lines in usb script to solve bootloop. Now nothing, just system led On. Any info?

ubiattach -m 3 -d 3

mount -t ubifs ubi3:ubi_config /etc/zyxel

cd /etc/zyxel

rm -r *

• Fefe
    Fefe Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

I'm in the same situation with a 540.

I had automatic reboot, I updated to last version and I'm in bootloop.

I removed disks.

I reset with back Button, 2 beeps, nothing changed.

I read about reset deleting the settings folder. I prepared usb key with yours command lines.

Now the nas stays ON, system led White, but not responding to Nas Seeker, no reset button (no beeps), no power button.

I can power it off just disconnecting power cord.

Any tips?

• Mijzelf
    Options

I'm afraid that it gets stuck in the bootloader. Without serial connection you can't do anything about that. (And with maybe neither, depending on the actual problem.)

• Nas540U2022
    Nas540U2022 Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Hey there Fefe,

I think you have to log in via serial to check the screen output, like Mijzelf suggested. I would've never found the solution without that.

After you did that, you can follow my steps in the answer to this post.

• Plex on NAS542
    Plex on NAS542 Posts: 19  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options

Sorry but I have now the same problem with my NAS542. I downloaded the "NAS540_521AATB3C0_Upgradekey" of Mijzelf, but the led red appears and the device don´t do it, nothing and reboot again.
    When you tall about "serial connection" what do you meant? I´m very lost with the solution.

• Mijzelf
    Options

Here is a wiki about (using) the serial port on a router: https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/port.serial

For a NAS it's basically the same. Just another embedded Linux box.

• Plex on NAS542
    Plex on NAS542 Posts: 19  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options

I've never done anything like this. Let's see what I can learn from the link you sent me. Thank you so much.
    Although I don't know if I'm going to be able to do anything with a device that reboots every few seconds. At Zyxel they don't give me the chance to send the equipment in for repair. They say that it is an EOL and that I have to buy a new one.

Consumer Product Help Center