XGS1250-12 and SFP+ PM7000-01 XGS-PON transceiver?

HS1542
HS1542 Posts: 6
Friend Collector First Comment
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how I can skip my Zyxel AX7501-B0 gateway.

When inserting the Zyxel PM7000-01 SFP+ transceiver into the XGS1250-12 switch, I get no link and the port status stays down. Inserting the transceiver back into the AX7501-B0, I get link again.

Please advice on how to get any kind of debug information from the switch in regards to why it is not able to use the SFP+ transceiver? I expected it to be compatible since all are Zyxel parts, but I don't see it listed in the datasheet but I wouldn't expect XGS-PON transceivers to be listed neither.. :)

-BR

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,590  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @HS1542,

Apology for the late reply. I took some time to build the test surrounding.
    My test result is that the PM7010-R0 can work with XGS1250-12, and the packets can be forwarded.
    So, you might need to contact your ISP for changing the Serial number of the SFP module.
    If there have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• Zyxel_Ivan
    Zyxel_Ivan Posts: 259  Zyxel Employee
    edited January 2023
    Dear @HS1542 , The XGS1250-12 is not designed for the G-PON use, so it does not support the G-PON's transceiver. You can click the link below to have the support list for XGS1250-12:https://download.zyxel.com/XGS1250-12/datasheet/XGS1250-12_3.pdf Thanks. Ivan
  • HS1542
    Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your reply.
    I am not familiar with PONs, but do I understand correctly that for instance the PM7010-R0 transceiver could be used as an alternative to connect a layer2 switch and open up for removal of the AX7501-B0 ?

-BR
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    And I don't think that your ISP will allow anyone to connect to their infrastructure without an authorized CPE.
  • HS1542
    The question stands, will the PM7010-R0 transceiver work on the XGS1250-12 to replace an AX7501-B0 with the PM7000-01 transceiver to gain link/connectivity?

@mMontana: I don't ask for personal opinions or other non-topic comments.
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    @HS1542 if the ISP has the shortlist of MacAddresses of its inventory of devices filtering the XGS-PON infrastructure, you can plug whatever you want, but the connection won't work...
  • HS1542
    @mMontana True enough, I am digging into programmable transceivers. However, the question stands :)
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @HS1542,

The Zyxel AX7501-B0 gateway cannot be skipped since PON-ONT has a registration process with ISP to enable the link, which the XGS1250 does not support.
    We recommend you connect the XGS1250 under the AX7501-B0 gateway.

Zyxel Melen

• HS1542
    That is fine, but what about the PM7010-R0 transceiver? If I understand correctly, this alone should be able to perform registration, given that the ISP will acknowledge the handshake?
  • Zyxel_Melen
    Hi @HS1542,

The negotiation is between the ISP and the gateway but not the transceiver.

Zyxel Melen

• For me it seems like the PM7010-R0 will act as the gateway and complete the negotiation.
    Just look here: https://service-provider.zyxel.com/na/en/products/fiber-oltsonts/xgs-pon/sfus/pm7010-r0 - Under application diagram you will se an applicable configuration with the transceiver connected to a switch.