NR5101 Nebula GUI Login problem.

Options
Gelphyn
Gelphyn Posts: 12
First Anniversary Friend Collector SurveyFeedback-2022-Dec First Comment
edited August 2023 in Nebula

On multiple visits to the GUI to gain access to my NR5101 Nebula, I set up my Password Manager [PM] with the Zyxel-specified UserName and the Site-Wide Password.

Access was acceptable. A double click on the Zyxel entry in the PM navigated to the correct web page. Next, one-click on the PM Icon to fill in the UserName and Password, followed by hitting the login button, and access was achieved.

On a subsequent visit, my credentials were entered when the PM Icon was clicked. The cursor was moved toward the login button, but as soon as it ceased hovering over the PM icon, all the password asterisks disappeared apart from one. The password was now incorrect, and the login failed.

Copying the password from the PM, typing the UserName in the access page, pasting the password, and then hitting the login button provided access. Using this method would be reasonable, given the low frequency of visits.

It is still easy to access the login web page from the PM. However, the access page had gained the ability to attempt login without my input. When I attempted input, a message informed me that the UserName was no longer valid and that a new attempt should be made in 5 minutes, promptly counting down every second.

I am using a MacBook Pro M1 [2020], running the latest version of Ventura 13.2. I believe there has been a macOS upgrade during my NR5101 ownership, but I cannot recollect this problem before the switch to Ventura. 

Some websites have quirks, but not on this level.

Thanks in advance for any help. Best regards, G.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 935  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Gelphyn,

We’re pleased to know that you can log in successfully by accessing the login web page manually with username and the Site-wide password.

Related to the symptom happens when you’re using a Password Manager software and the latest version of Ventura 13.2, could you help to check other OS version and other browsers? It seems like the issue happened because of compatibility.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Gelphyn
    Gelphyn Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Friend Collector SurveyFeedback-2022-Dec First Comment
    Options
    Zyxel_Judy.

I use the same PM to access Nebula, and it does not present any problem with any other website.
    Safari is a popular browser with good security aspects. However, in the past, when I have used others to workaround a problem, I have been beset by problems generated by the temporary browser.

As the Login security situation is weak when accessing the GUI, I am hopeful that Zyxel will see the suggestion to relocate the GUI access. If my suggestion is not accepted, I will continue to enter my credentials manually. The GUI is essential, but access is rarely needed.

Best wishes, G.
  • Zyxel_Judy
    Options
    Hi @Gelphyn,

You mentioned about the access page from the Password Manager had gained the ability to attempt login without your input, and then when you attempted input, a message informed you that the UserName was no longer valid and that a new attempt should be made in 5 minutes, promptly counting down every second. It is a normal behavior of router to show the message when the password was incorrect over 3 times. 

As you said that you can login successfully to GUI Access Web Page by manual, so we assume that there is no problem with router login function there. We suggest you to use the manual method to access the router in case there is might a compatibility issue between the Password Manager and the router GUI Access Web Page.

• Gelphyn
    Options
    SORRY, I 'SENT' THIS MESSAGE, BUT IT FAILED TO SEND.
    Zyxel_Judy.

I use the same PM to access Nebula, and it does not present any problem with any other website.
    Safari is a popular browser with good security aspects. However, in the past, when I have used others to workaround a problem, I have been beset by problems generated by the temporary browser.

As the Login security situation is weak when accessing the GUI, I am hopeful that Zyxel will see the suggestion to relocate the GUI access. If my suggestion is not accepted, I will continue to enter my credentials manually. The GUI is essential, but access is rarely needed.
    However, the poor security of the GUI access requires addressing.

Best wishes, G.
  • Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @Gelphyn,

About the suggestion to relocate the GUI access and security issue, we’ve replied to you at this thread. Please feel free to refer to that.

Nebula Tips & Tricks