NWA50AX Devices get dropped after some time

Options
Piatho
Piatho Posts: 4
First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula
Hello
I have an NWA50AX access point that broadcasts 3 SSIDs in three Vlans.

A pfsense is providing DHCP in each network

With an increasing number of clients (~40) i noticed that same clients start loosing connection after some time. The issue is observed with amazon echos and smart plugs and shelly switches

Rebooting the AP brings all devices back online

I am not sure if the issue may relates to certain idle times but i can hardly believe that with echo devices 

I know that root cause may be difficult to identify but someone may help me with some tips to investigate further in the issue?

Many thanks
Thorben 

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 568  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

We noticed that you have arranged your DCS schedule at 18:00, and this might be the reason for your IoT device disconnection at that time.  

Could you please assist us by adjusting the schedule to a less busy time, such as late at night when WiFi usage is low? Besides, please also enable the DCS client aware to let AP waits until all connected clients have disconnected before switching channels. You may adjust these settings at Nebula CC >> Access point >> Radio settings >> DCS setting. 

We would appreciate it if you could keep an eye on the changes and let us know if they help resolve the issue. 

Kay 

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @Piatho 

Could you please provide your more details about your condition for us to have a further investigation? It would be grateful if we have the information like AP’s firmware version, power mode, connected client details, how often your wireless client get disconnection and the event log while your device occurred connection lost. Alternatively, you can enable Zyxel support in the Nebula CC >> Help center >> Support request and provide us with your organization/site name and the time that problem occurred so that we can investigate directly. 

For a more stable and efficient WiFi connection, we recommend limiting the number of connected wireless clients to 15-20 per AP at the same time. Having an excessive number of connected clients might cause some service impact. 

Kay 

Kay

• Piatho
    Options
    Hi Kay,
    thanks for your prompt reply.

I am going to activate the support but i am also sharing some details here in case you can provide some recommendations, others might find useful as well:

• Firmware is V6.29(ABYW.1) (Latest) 
    • Power mode is full
    • Clients: Currently 20 clients are connected
    • SSIDs: 3 different SSID (most clients are IOT devices in an IOT network)
    I have one access point centrally in my house. most clients have good connections, some would eventually benefit from a second AP positioned somewhere else

Details on the issue:
    I haven't managed to investigate when exactly devices disappear but its usually around late afternoon/early evening. Surely thats a time when the family starts using the WIFI more than during day.

I tried to identify a pattern, but there is some random here as well, since neither time nor day nor the devices that disconnect are always the same.

In average, i would say, shelly devices are always affected - with static and dynamic IPs and computers and mobile phones are never effected. The disconnect can be observed around 3-4 dys in the week (randomly). Also assigning devices temporarily to another SSID does not help.

Since most of the devices are IOT devices, communication is minor, most of them just using socket communication

According to AP specification, up to more than 200 clients are supported but i guess that's just known but not active ones? Is the limitation, you mentioned given by the assumption all devices must have fast connection or are handshakes limited?

My IOT net is to grow, so will buying a second AP solve the issue, as devices would connect to a less near by AP if the closed one has more than 20 connections? Whats your recommendation here?

Best regards
    Thorben
  • Piatho
    Options
    I have by coincient spotted the exact time of some of my devices when offline. This time only shelly  have disappeared. Please find below an example of a log. 
    Btw. i have activated the support. How can invite s.o. on the AP?

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options
    Hi @Piatho

Thanks for your detailed description! =) 

We have noted that you have enabled Zyxel Support on Nebula. Our team will thoroughly investigate your site and keep you informed of any updates.

Kay

Kay

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

We noticed that you have arranged your DCS schedule at 18:00, and this might be the reason for your IoT device disconnection at that time.  

Could you please assist us by adjusting the schedule to a less busy time, such as late at night when WiFi usage is low? Besides, please also enable the DCS client aware to let AP waits until all connected clients have disconnected before switching channels. You may adjust these settings at Nebula CC >> Access point >> Radio settings >> DCS setting. 

We would appreciate it if you could keep an eye on the changes and let us know if they help resolve the issue. 

Kay 

Kay

• Piatho
    Options

After a few days monitoring, i think i can confirm the issue to be resolved by adjusting the DCS settings. This can be marked as “closed/solved”

Nebula Tips & Tricks