Pair of XGS1930-28 w/VLANs advice?

Options
My boss acquired two XGS1930-28 with the plan to put one in the cellar with the servers, one upstairs with the desktops, and the idea to run several of our internal networks across the connection with the help of VLANs.

Now I certainly understand IP networks, but I've never done anything with VLANs, and after reading up on the topic, my first attempts generally ended when I managed to configure myself off from the management UI. Clearly there's something I'm not getting.

In my last attempts, I tried to have a management-access network (a separate /24) going into port 24 on both switches (only one at first because I already learned that switching loops are a bad thing). Still, sooner or later I cut myself off. Maybe I'm going at it the wrong way entirely?

Any advice how I should set this up?

Simplified excerpt of our plans:
  • 10.0.99.0/24 to port 24 on both switches for management
  • 10.0.15.0/24 has desktops on the upstairs switch, and our central router on our downstairs switch, plus our VMware server
  • 10.0.17.0/24 has phones on the upstairs switch, and our central router on our downstairs switch, plus our VMware server
  • No Nebula.
I think that should be enough detail, the rest is just more of the same. If I can get this much running, I should be able to expand to the rest.
Note that currently, nothing here uses VLANs, though we'd like to eventually activate them on our router and perhaps also the VMware server so we can do more with fewer cables. But that's just for background, for now, I want to get the basics running.

Accepted Solution

All Replies