GS1200-8 - Brilliant! But can ZyXEL make it perfect?
I just received my GS1200-8 Managed Gigabit Switch today and I am very happy with its capabilities.
I ordered this switch after ordering a NETGEAR GS108E, which has been promptly returned because it was missing key security and separation features with VLANs, most notably the management interface VLAN configuration. This feature is a basic, minimum requirement for a 802.11q capable switch, yet NETGEAR employees say on their forums that it is reserved for a higher end line of switches, which is just completely unacceptable.
I also looked at the TP-Link TL-SG108E, however looking at the reviews and comments for it, it suffers from the exact same problem as the GS108E.
The ZyXEL GS1200-8 appears to be the only switch at this pricepoint which correctly supports this minimum requirement feature for an 802.11q switch.
This switch will suit my homelab workbench very well, and I would almost say it is perfect, but there are a few little annoyances which prevent that from being the case, some are picky but some are important.
- Important - Passwords are really limited at 15 characters with no special characters.
- I do not expect there to be UTF-8 support, because I understand there will be ROM restrictions and multibyte characters are hard to manage in that restriction
- I do expect full ASCII support
- I do expect a minimum of 15 characters realistically
- Inconvenient - Web interface timeout is very annoying because it times out too quickly
- When doing large configuration tasks, a timeout of 30 minutes would be better
- If this could be configurable in minutes, that would be awesome, even if thats only 1-255!
- Preferrably, logging in from another client should log out the other session rather than complaining and preventing
- Picky - The LEDs are unclear for 10 megabit connections
- NETGEAR do this really well, with the right LED being 10, left being 100, and both being 1000. With the GS1200-8, 10 and 100 look the same, and can only be differentiated from the web interface
- Having an option to switch the LEDs to this mode would be great, especially for testing equiment on a workbench
- Picky - VLAN ports marked Egress are technically both Egress and Ingress
- I have verified this with testing
- A simple change which could just add some clarity to the UI
I really hope this list will be helpful to ZyXEL, and I would love to at minimum see the password and timeout fixed if possible! This is a great little switch and with a few tweaks here and there would be well rounded for a perfect enthusiast/prosumer level switch.
- All Categories
- 192 Beta Program
- 1.7K Nebula
- 93 Nebula Ideas
- 63 Nebula Status and Incidents
- 4.7K Security
- 236 Security Ideas
- 1.1K Switch
- 52 Switch Ideas
- 920 WirelessLAN
- 28 WLAN Ideas
- 5.4K Consumer Product
- 174 Service & License
- 296 News and Release
- 114 Success Stories
- 65 Security Advisories
- 14 Education Center
- 1K FAQ
- 453 Nebula FAQ
- 258 Security FAQ
- 100 Switch FAQ
- 115 WirelessLAN FAQ
- 22 Consumer Product FAQ
- 67 Service & License FAQ
- 34 Documents
- 34 Nebula Monthly Express
- 69 About Community
- 52 Security Highlight