What would cause a local URL to be redirected to the NSG100 Firewall.

lhoch
lhoch Posts: 3  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2023 in Nebula

I have a customer that when they type in a local URL they get redirected to the NSG100 firewall. I personally have had this problem, but I would complete a /release, /flushdns and /renew from the command prompt. Unfortunately this is not recommended for my customer as their server has a static ip address. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Les Hochmeister

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,626  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 2023

Hi @lhoch,

Welcome to the Zyxel community!

Is this problem occurring in LAN or WAN? What's the local URL? What website does the customer expect to see? Could you PM me to check?

Also, could you help to enable Zyxel support so I can check the configuration? Please go to Help Center > Support Request > Zyxel support access to enable and save. Don't forget to tell me the organization's name.

Zyxel Melen

• lhoch

I hate to sound dumb, but I have never PM'd on this site. Assistance please.

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @lhoch,

I just send the message to you, please check your message box.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @lhoch,

May I know if the specific IP is a DNS server? And what's the client's DNS server setting?

After checking the configuration, I found the URLs have been set as address records and domain zone forwarders.

If you use NSG as the client's DNS server, you could remove the domain zone forwarders. It is because the NSG will provide the specific IP to the clients due to the address records.

This problem might be because the destination device of the domain zone forwarder replies NSG's IP address which causes the client to be redirected to the NSG100.

Zyxel Melen

• lhoch

-May I know if the specific IP is a DNS server? And what's the client's DNS server setting?  —RESPONSE:  The DNS Server (192.168.1.22) is the same machine hosting the gis.oxfordwater.com website. 

The clients DNS is set to:Primary:  192.168.1.22

Secondary: 8.8.8.8

Additional Secondary:  8.8.4.4

-After checking the configuration, I found the URLs have been set as address records and domain zone forwarders.

-If you use NSG as the client's DNS server, you could remove the domain zone forwarders. It is because the NSG will provide the specific IP to the clients due to the address records. 

—RESPONSE:  The NSG is not the DNS, it is just the Gateway.

-This problem might be because the destination device of the domain zone forwarder replies NSG's IP address which causes the client to be redirected to the NSG100.

—RESPONSE:  I changed the domain zone forwarder on the DNS Server from the NSG100 to a different server along with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Could this work??

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @lhoch,

Based on the current information, it seems like the DNS server has the address record "gis.oxfordwater.com" with NSG's IP address.

Since 192.168.1.22 is the DNS server and the clients use it as the primary DNS, I recommend setting the address record with the correct IP address on the DNS server rather than NSG. This is because the DNS query won't be forwarded to NSG.

However, if your scenario is that the NSG will help the DNS server to reply to the DNS request, I recommend setting the domain zone forwarder on the DNS server and setting the address record on NSG.

Zyxel Melen

Nebula Tips & Tricks