POE Access Point (AP) powers on but no uplink on cable

Options
Radial
Radial Posts: 6
Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2023 in Nebula

We have FTTP here now courtesy of Giganet. Fast and so far reliable which is great. 

Got the Zyxel networking up on Sunday and all was ok. However at around 1am last night the AP in the Garage started playing silly buggers as you can see. When I look at the lights on the switch the link light briefly comes up and then goes off after a second or two. It constantly does this every minute or so.

Both AP’s are hard wired and use POE. No issues with the House one. The Garage one has decided its only going to work in repeater mode though now, all on its own. Thats why I think I am getting all these drop outs, because the signal isn’t good enough from the House one to reliably repeat … hence the cable. The POE works but the AP is always using repeater mode. 

• I turned off smart mesh so it could not and it just went offline (didn’t use the cable that its drawing power from). 
  • I’ve swapped ports on the switch, the problem follows.
  • Swapped the patch cable, problem follows.
  • I swapped the patch into a second identical switch, problem followed.
  • Plugged my laptop into the end of the cable where the AP is and it works perfectly. Ran ping to 8.8.8.8 for 10 minutes and not one packet loss. Browsing works nicely. Speed was 100MB but thats the best my dongle can do on the laptop so likely not a limitation in the cable run.
  • Took another switch out there so it was switch to switch and then put the AP on that switch in the Garage. The switch then had the same issues connecting to the switch inside that the AP has. 
  • I powered the AP with the power brick and plugged the end of the cable direct to the firewall (instead of the POE switch … uplinked fine and held it ok but was only running at 10M

As far as I can think I have eliminated all possible physical issues (AP, cable, switch, patch panel, etc). 

So all I can think is that its a Nebular / settings issue but given all my swapsies above, I can’t for the love of god think what it could be. 

Please… any ideas anyone :)

PS … Firewall is a USG Flex 100, Switches are GS1920-8HP-v2 and the APs are NWA1123AC-v3

All Replies

• Radial
    edited April 2023
    Options

I reset the port on the switch and it briefly started (sort of) working.

Cable legth is approximately correct. Showing no faults.
    But still ony using 10/100M like it was when on the Firewall direct in tests above.
    Cable is Cat 6 shielded outdoor rated.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 479  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello @Radial

As your latest comment mentioned that you restarted port 4 on Switch and it started working, we would like to know if everything is still working well so far? 

By the way, could you please let us know if you used the Power Cycle function or reset the configuration on port 4 of Switch A? 

Regarding your concern on 10/100M whatever the Garage AP was connected to Firewall or Switch A, we suggest doing a test to investigate the cause. Your screenshot showed that the House AP is connected to Switch A through port 3 with 1Gbps indicating that the House AP, port 3, and the cable are fine. To determine if the Garage AP works properly with a 1G link, we recommend exchanging it to be connected to port 3 and using the existing cable on port 3 and observing its behavior. 

In addition, to allow us to investigate in more detail in case the disconnection reoccurs, can you please enable Zyxel Technical Support and provide us with your Organization/Site information? 

Best Regards,

Nami

Zyxel Nami

• Radial
    Options

Hi Nami,
    Thanks for your reply.

I used both power cycle and reset at different times. I can't remember which was the last one I did.

I did mention that it was now connected, but it is not 'working'. At 10mbps the link is so poor its unusable.

I noted above in my first post that I have tried swapping around ports and cables across the switches - no change.

I also connected the Garage AP via a patch cable direct to the switch and it worked on 1Gbps then.

I'm on a phone but I'll addyou later to the control panel. Thanks

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 479  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @Radial

Please provide us with your Organization and Site when you will enable Zyxel Technical Support

Best Regards,

Nami

Zyxel Nami

Nebula Tips & Tricks