NBG7510 - can I configure it without encapsulation on the WAN port?

tonygibbs16
tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi all,

I have ordered an NBG7510 in order to update my SOHO set-up, and am waiting for it to arrive.

It seems like a good device.

I plan to connect it to my Zyxel DSL router in order to get Internet connectivity over my VDSL connection to my ISP.

Can I connect the WAN port of the NBG7510 to a LAN port of my exising Zyxel DSL router without any PPPoE encapsulation being set on it?

Or do I make the connection using one of the LAN ports on the NBG7510 to a LAN port on my DSL router?

The user guide does not seem clear on whether I can use the WAN port without encapsulation or not.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Tony

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,028  Zyxel Employee
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @tonygibbs16

If you have already set it up PPPoE on your Zyxel DSL home gateway, then you do not need to set it up again on your NBG7510 router. You can simply connect the WAN port of your NBG7510 to Zyxel DSL and configure the NBG7510 for use as a router.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jerry

Hi @tonygibbs16 ,

If the original network system does not require PPPoE encapsulation to access the internet, it's unlikely that a new router added to the network would need to use PPPoE.

In this case, the NBG7510 would need to be configured to use the appropriate settings for the type of connection that is being used.
    If originally, the device under DSL router could obtain an IP address through DHCP, you can  connect the WAN port of the NBG7510 to a LAN port of the existing Zyxel DSL router.

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    edited April 2023

Thanks @Zyxel_Jerry for your response.

My ISP does use PPPoE, so I have that set-up in my Zyxel DSL home gateway. Therefore, I think that I don't need this in the NBG7510 at present on the WAN port.

So I wanted to know if I can set-up the NBG7510 that way?

I have purchased the NBG7510 instead of a completely ordinary router, because I feel that its WAN Broadband capability should help me when I need to move to a full-fibre connection.

But I am also thinking how to set NBG7510 up for today (even though I have not got it till next week :-) )

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Tony

• Zyxel_Jerry
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @tonygibbs16

If you have already set it up PPPoE on your Zyxel DSL home gateway, then you do not need to set it up again on your NBG7510 router. You can simply connect the WAN port of your NBG7510 to Zyxel DSL and configure the NBG7510 for use as a router.

Consumer Product Help Center