ATP100W country code for AP?

Options
kunz
kunz Posts: 32  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2023 in Security

Hello,

We have both ATP500 with WAC500 and ATP100W with WAC6303D-S both using the built-in wireless controllers.

In our ATP100W>Configuration>Object>AP Profile>Radio>defualt,default2,or default3>Show Advanced Settings

From the ATP100W AP logs.

We are located in the Philippines. But the country code changes from US to CH upon bootup according to the AP logs.

No idea why it changes to CH ( Switzerland ).

Our problem is our Wireless Intrusion Prevention System can't defend the APs that operate with a different country code.

No option to change the country code in the ATP100W.

Meanwhile in the ATP500, has the said option, and is available.

Right now, I decided just to power off the 2 units of WAC6303D-S in the meantime until a solution becomes available.

Is there a possible work around this? Or perhaps a firmware update?

Thanks

kunz

Best Answers

All Replies

• kunz
    Options

country code CH is Switzerland.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,083  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @kunz

Thanks for inquiring about this question to us. May we know what is your current firmware version of ATP100W? Additionally, could you provide more information about the actions you performed on the ATP100W that resulted in the log message below?

Is your main problem that is why ATP100W cannot choose the country code to Philippine, right?

Thanks.

• kunz
    Options

Hello Jeff

The ATP100W current firmware is V5.36(ABRW.0) 2023-03-28 05:46:12 this is info that I see in Dashboard>General>Device Information.

I think the maybe it's the VPN as the CH is Switzerland, as 1st hop is CH then exits 2nd hop PH. No way around that.

Not much that I've done with the configurations, mostly standard stuff. I was planning to use the WPA2/Enterprise with the WAC6303D-S units using only the built-in RADIUS of the ATP100W, unfourtunately I failed miserably. The ATP100W and WAC6303D-S units are only really for our legacy devices and some guests/visitors. Perhaps if it's not too much, may you kindly also share a step by step guide for WPA2/Enterprise using only the ATP100W built-in RADIUS together with the WAC6303D-S?

Maybe a nice option alternative using WPA2/enterprise, in lieu of the country code unavailable in the ATP100W firmware?

But neither the less, there is no option in the ATP100W to change the country code. Unlike in our ATP500 the option is available, as per screenshot.

As our WIPS units will detect but not defend those APs if the country code is different, and there by lowering the security layer that we have.

Thanks,

kunz

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,320  Guru Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,083  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kunz

Because of regulatory concerns, the country code cannot be modified by built-in AP models.

Please refer to the user guide document, thanks.

• kunz
    Options

Hello Jeff,

I saw it, thanks for link to the user guide. Very much appreciated.

"Because of regulatory concerns, the country code cannot be modified by built-in AP models."

This just me, but I think in my situation it's a disadvantage. Now I'll have to return the WAC6303D-S units back to the ATP500 from the ATP100W for our WIPS units to work correctly for Philippine "regulatory" compliance.

So in this instance, since I have set the country code to the Philippines in the ATP500, and the said appliance is located in the Philippines it is compliant with the "regulartory" concerns. For me the 'regulatory" compliance has not changed since both the ATP100W and the ATP500 are both physically located in the Philippines.

I had purchased the ATP100W from a local Philippine dealer/store. Note in the earler screenshot it started with US then to CH in the logs. Hence the complaint of the WIPS units.

I think flexability of choice is a much more efficient solution that I had hoped. I hope that Zyxel will reconsider addining the option in the future. It's just a suggestion.

For the WPA2/Enterprise, I had seen this way back…

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360006418739-RADIUS-Authentication-with-802-1X

I wish there was one that was straight forward that would just use the built-in RADIUS feature of the ATP…with no more additional time and expense of setting up a windows box for it…

Kindly forgive my wish, as an small business owner and the tech at the same time is probably a bit too much for me.

Many thanks as always Jeff, very much appricate the time to accomidate my questions…

Warm regards,

kunz

Security Highlight