Static IP and MAC address - reservation not working properly

Options
GiuseppeR
GiuseppeR Posts: 106  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector

Hello

I used to tell the firewall to reserve some IPs linked to MAC addresses of the machines that had to use only that IP.

I got that using Site-wide > Configure > Firewall > Interface and there I used to write IP addresses and MAC addresses.

Today I did the same: I was installing a USG200 in a Company XY and there I used DHCP from 1 to 49, static IPs from 50 to 200.

It was OK if the PCs were on DHCP, so they got the right IP related to their MAC address from firewall settings.

My client wanted ALSO to put the static IP's parameters inside the PCs/printers but when adding these parameters I saw that they did not recognize the network: the appliances saw the network again when I changed the DHCP table from 1 to 200 and I erased the reserved IPs.

Why did it happen?

Thanks in advance

All Replies

• Zyxel_Emily
    Zyxel_Emily Posts: 1,296  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @GiuseppeR,
    I add the IP 192.168.8.50 in static DHCP table and configure this IP address on the laptop. It works successfully.

After you configure the static IP on the client and connect to lan interface, use the command "show arp-table" via SSH or console to check if the IP and MAC is on the list.

• GiuseppeR
    GiuseppeR Posts: 106  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Thanks @Zyxel_Emily

I'll try that (setting static IPs and setting also parameters on the PC's NIC) inside my lab and I'll update this thread: never tried this double setting with Zyxel Nebula.

Nebula Tips & Tricks