Using VMG3926-B10A just as a wired switch?

Options
toke_lahti
toke_lahti Posts: 5
First Comment
edited July 2023 in Smart Home Product

I'd like to use VMG3926-B10A inside my home network just as a wired (maybe smart) switch.
Sometimes I'd like to use it's wifi-AP, so it would be helpful to access its web UI.

I would like to minimize the energy it uses, so shutting down all the features I don't use.

Fw should be the latest for 3926: V5.13(AAVF.10)C0.

What I've done:

1) Changed the "home networking" IP to 192.168.1.2. My router uses 192.168.1.1 and does NAT and acts as DHCP server.

2) Disabled:
a) 2,4GHz wifi
b) 5GHz wifi
c) firewall
d) DHCP server
e) adsl WAN if
f) vdsl WAN if

3) Bridged ETHERWAN

After this 3926 thinks it does not have connection to internet.
Doesn't matter if the connection to router is in WAN port or one of the LAN ports.
As long as ETHERWAN is routing, it thinks it has internet connection, but with bridging that the illustartion line to internet stays red.

The User Guide talks about configuring WAN port as 5th LAN port in page 180.
Is this a mistake?
There's no setting for this in "Home Networking / LAN Setup".

Other problems:

A) NTP does not work. Even with factory default settings and straight connection to internet.

B) SSH to it does not work. It is enabled for LAN, like factory settings are.
I'm using macOS Ventura.

TokesMini2018:~ ext-toke$ ssh admin@192.168.1.2
Unable to negotiate with 192.168.1.2 port 22: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1

TokesMini2018:~ ext-toke$ ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 admin@192.168.1.2
Unable to negotiate with 192.168.1.2 port 22: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa

TokesMini2018:~ ext-toke$ ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa admin@192.168.1.2
Unable to negotiate with 192.168.1.2 port 22: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1

…etc…

Telnet does work.
I guess the CLI is quite crippled with this one?

All Replies

• Liba
    Liba Posts: 108  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer
    Options

I am not sure that VMG3926-B10A can like a switch, because it is a Router.

And it seems you disable most functions and still not work.

Maybe you can use Routing WAN intead Bridged ETHERWAN and see the network is work or not.

Consumer Product Help Center