Use NWA50AX as a range extender?

Options
demmel
demmel Posts: 2
First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula

Hi,

I have a set of 6 pcs NWA50AX managed via Nebula.

I need to have an access point outdoor (location is within a hut, so it's protected against rain and snow) where I do not have a LAN cable.

So is it possible to enable mesh (on all NWA50AX devices?) and add an extra NWA50AX in the hut acting as a range extender? If the answer is yes, how should the setup of the additional NWA50AX be done (I can connect it to the LAN cable before moving it to the hut)?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 479  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @demmel

Yes, Nebula supports Smart Mesh configuration which is indeed available for the NWA50AX. As such, it's entirely possible to enable mesh on all your NWA50AX devices and deploy an additional device as a range extender, also known as a Repeater AP.

Since you currently have 6 pcs of NWA50AX managed on Nebula, all you need to do is register and add the additional NWA50AX to the same organization/site. You can initially connect it via a LAN cable to bring it online and subsequently move it to the hut.

Once the device is online on Nebula, please go to Configuration > Access points > AP & port settings, enable AP Smart mesh. Here is the FAQ to configure Smart Mesh easily for your reference:

Besides, please be aware that the throughput is reduced by half on each hop in a mesh network. Consequently, it's generally not recommended to have more than 2 hops in this configuration. Therefore, when considering your topology, carefully select the optimal Mesh topology to meet your requirements. For example, choose the wired AP closest to the hut as the root AP for the additional NWA50AX that will be deployed in the hut.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Zyxel Nami

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @demmel

Yes, Nebula supports Smart Mesh configuration which is indeed available for the NWA50AX. As such, it's entirely possible to enable mesh on all your NWA50AX devices and deploy an additional device as a range extender, also known as a Repeater AP.

Since you currently have 6 pcs of NWA50AX managed on Nebula, all you need to do is register and add the additional NWA50AX to the same organization/site. You can initially connect it via a LAN cable to bring it online and subsequently move it to the hut.

Once the device is online on Nebula, please go to Configuration > Access points > AP & port settings, enable AP Smart mesh. Here is the FAQ to configure Smart Mesh easily for your reference:

Besides, please be aware that the throughput is reduced by half on each hop in a mesh network. Consequently, it's generally not recommended to have more than 2 hops in this configuration. Therefore, when considering your topology, carefully select the optimal Mesh topology to meet your requirements. For example, choose the wired AP closest to the hut as the root AP for the additional NWA50AX that will be deployed in the hut.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Zyxel Nami

• demmel
    demmel Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Thanks for your quick & detailed answer. I just found out the NWA50AX can withstand 0°C only, so is there an alternative withstanding -10°C (or possibly -20°C) as well?

Best regards
    Herbert

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello Herbert,

Indeed, for environments with colder temperatures, our NWA55AXE outdoor access point could be an excellent fit. This device operates in temperatures ranging from -20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F) and can handle humidity levels from 10% to 90% (non-condensing). This robustness should make it ideally suited to the conditions you've described.

For further details, you can visit the product page for the NWA55AXE here: NWA55AXE Specifications. Additionally, you may want to consider two more of our outdoor access points, the WAC6550 Series and the WAX655E.

Please note that these outdoor access points are PoE (Power over Ethernet) powered.

Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask!

Zyxel Nami

Nebula Tips & Tricks