NWA55AXE disconnects

aleeuler
aleeuler Posts: 3
Friend Collector First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula

Good evening, I actually bought two Zyxel NWA55AXE as an outdoor replacement to a Fritzrepeater.

I am in the situation that I work from the mobile for my employer. For this reason, I always have to dial into the VPN accordingly. With the Internet provider I have myself that works. With my office, however, I have rented, for space reasons, with my neighbor in the house. With the Internet provider he has, there are always DNS problems when connecting to the VPN.

This is where the two NWA55AXE come into the picture. I want to extend my WLAN via Smartmesh/Wireless bridge to my office. Basically, I have a good connection to my network when both access points are online in the office. However, I always have disconnections, which is why I don't dare to go into team calls or so with customers. Because I don't know if I have a connection or if there will be a random disconnection.

What could be the reason for these disconnections? The distance between the two access points is less than 600 meters. Could it be the difference in altitude? That the access point connected to the LAN is positioned lower than the one in the office? Could it be because one access point is outdoors and the second is in the office? However, it is located directly at the window and even when the window is open, there have already been disconnections.

The current status of the two access points in nebula:

Access point configuration:

Position of the access points:

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 855  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi @aleeuler ,

Based on your description, it appears that the issue you are facing is with the disconnection of the Repeater AP. This problem is likely caused by a weak signal, indicated by the signal strength of -78dBm. To successfully establish a Smart mesh network, and have optimal performance, the APs should be deployed within areas where the signal strength is sufficient, ideally at -70dBm or higher. Additionally, ensure that the uplink AP has a clear line-of-sight to the repeater AP to facilitate a reliable connection.

Please tell us if there are any concerns/ issues and enable Zyxel Support for further checking (going to Help (On the top right) > Support Request > Zyxel support Access to enable and save)

Judy

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓

Hi @aleeuler ,

Based on your description, it appears that the issue you are facing is with the disconnection of the Repeater AP. This problem is likely caused by a weak signal, indicated by the signal strength of -78dBm. To successfully establish a Smart mesh network, and have optimal performance, the APs should be deployed within areas where the signal strength is sufficient, ideally at -70dBm or higher. Additionally, ensure that the uplink AP has a clear line-of-sight to the repeater AP to facilitate a reliable connection.

Please tell us if there are any concerns/ issues and enable Zyxel Support for further checking (going to Help (On the top right) > Support Request > Zyxel support Access to enable and save)

Judy

• aleeuler

Thank you for the quick initial feedback. In the meantime, I have already changed the frequency band for the WLAN from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz.

I have also given you support access to my account.

• aleeuler

Hi @Zyxel_JudyH,

I have just changed the position of the access point in the garden. The signal strength has improved a lot (see screenshot). Can you please still take a look at the logs of the devices? I am curious if it is now possible to work with the devices. If the dropouts will be less.

Current signal strength:

Dropouts of the last 24h:

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @aleeuler ,

In Mesh scenario, in order to let the AP can use the high band with better throughput, when APs using 2.4GHz to configure Smart Mesh, there is a mechanism as each 30 minutes, AP will disconnect to check in case there is a chance to use 5GHz.

It is the reason led to you can see the Repeater AP disconnect each 30 minutes from the Access point usage and connectivity and event log page until APs use 5GHz to establish Smart Mesh. At the present, the Repeater AP is stable.

Judy

Nebula Tips & Tricks