VMG8825-T50 PPTP VPN establishes, but no data passes through the VPN?

Hi All,

I have a VMG8825-T50 connected to a FTTP line.

I have a static IP address issued by the ISP. However I belive that this may be via a CGNAT.

I can establish a PPTP VPN to my office, however no data passes through the VPN.

Any solutions or things to try?

Thanks, Adam

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2023

Hello Adam @A_J_M

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot see any reference to VPN in the user guide at https://download.zyxel.com/VMG8825-T50K/user_guide/VMG8825-T50K_V5.13_5.50.pdf

So I think that you need to look at the place where your PPTP VPN is set-up, and look for routing set-up there to tell traffic to use the VPN.

- usually by telling the machine on each end of the VPN that for particular hosts or subnets the next hop address is the VPN tunnel end point.

Otherwise, your traffic will try to use your default gateway.

- you can have split tunnelling, where only some traffic goes over the VPN and the rest goes out of your default gateway.

However, there is a PPTP Application Layer Gateway (ALG) that might be helpful for you to turn on, see below.

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony

PS: What OS are you using to set-up the PPTP VPN? Windows? Linux? MacOS?

• A_J_M
    A_J_M Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thanks Tony. I'll see it that works.

The VPN is instigated from a W10 PC into an existing corporate LAN.

The default gateway is configured as the default gateway in the corporate lan Once connected, so traffic should use the VPN.

With my old router this worked, however with this one (and a new fibre line) I can see the VPN connects, but I can't see any of the shared drives and lose Internet connection as soon as the VPN connects...

I do have a secondary VPN configured using the local Gateway when I don't want to route all traffic via the VPN, which also appears to connect, but Internet traffic remains OK, so I assume its the same issue with traffic via the VPN tunnel once established

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2023

Hello Adam,

Ok.

https://youtu.be/tlqU9UjaVOY setup of PPTP VPN on Windows 10 might help you if you need it.

I hope that the PPTP ALG helps too.

Kind Regards, Tony

Consumer Product Help Center