Nebula NR5101 - Configure (WireGuard/Tailscale) VPN

Options
Tim_E
Tim_E Posts: 5
Friend Collector First Comment

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a Nebula NR5101 for my home.

The Single built-in Wi-Fi 6 AP and networking would suffice our needs. Which is great!

However, I would like to configure a VPN connection from the NR5101, is this possible with the current firmware?

And if so, are Wireguard (or Tailscale) connections supported/possible?

If not, I would play around with Route rules on the NR5101 box and configure the VPN connection on a PFSense box. Since I would like all devices, including LAN+WLAN, to use that VPN connection.

Would this be possible with the NR5101?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Tim

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Tim_E ,

Thank you for your interest in our Nebula NR5101. As of the current firmware, the NR5101 does not support VPN configurations directly, including Wireguard or Tailscale connections. However, there's a workaround for your needs as you can use a firewall to establish the VPN connection.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Tim_E ,

Thank you for your interest in our Nebula NR5101. As of the current firmware, the NR5101 does not support VPN configurations directly, including Wireguard or Tailscale connections. However, there's a workaround for your needs as you can use a firewall to establish the VPN connection.

• BogdanHH
    BogdanHH Posts: 1
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Dear @Zyxel_Judy ,

Could you please share a guide on how this could be done(via firewall)? I just updated my Zyxel 5101 with the latest firmware. It would be great if a VPN feature would be considered in the next release.

Tks,

Bogdan

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @BogdanHH ,

It appears your network topology is configured as follows: PFSense (or another firewall) — NR5101 — Internet.

For your setup, you can enable IP Passthrough mode on the NR5101. This will allow traffic reaching the NR5101 to be forwarded directly to the PFSense. Consequently, you can manage and configure VPN settings on the PFSense.

It is crucial to ensure that the NR5101 is assigned a public IP address, as this is necessary for the proper implementation of VPN configurations.

Nebula Tips & Tricks