NR5101 with Multy or AP --- what is better

Options

I have a 5G Router (NT5101). The question now is how to cover the house….

A1) I can buy an AP eg NWA500AX, and make a roaming profile in the house…

A2) add eg a 2 Pack Multy….

There is not a very big difference in Price but the concept is completely different…

Any thoughts please?

Note: I have an ethernet "backbone"… ie when we build the house I let them install ethernet cables that "meet" in a tech room (I have a switch there)

many thanks!!!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 966  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ludovicus ,

Given that you have an Ethernet backbone in your house, both the options you've mentioned are viable. Here's a brief comparison to help you decide:

1. Using an AP like NWA50AX:

This option allows you to create a roaming profile, providing seamless connectivity as you move around the house. Here are some key features:

• Managed modes: Standalone mode and cloud mode (both Nebula portal and APP).
    • SSID numbers: Maximum of 8 SSIDs for Nebula mode, and 16 SSIDs for Standalone mode.
    • Advanced control: More control and potentially advanced & flexible SSID/radio configuration, including SSID rate limit, maximum output power, channel adjustment, etc.

To learn how to configure the AP with your existing wireless network, please refer to this FAQ.

2. Using a 2 Pack Multy System:

The Multy system is designed to work together to create a mesh network and offers simplicity and ease of use with:

• Managed mode: Standalone mode and cloud mode (Multy APP).
    • SSIDs: 2 SSIDs, one for the main network and another for the guest network.
    • Configuration: No advanced radio configuration options.

To know more about Multy’s Mesh configuration, please refer to this FAQ

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 966  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ludovicus ,

Given that you have an Ethernet backbone in your house, both the options you've mentioned are viable. Here's a brief comparison to help you decide:

1. Using an AP like NWA50AX:

This option allows you to create a roaming profile, providing seamless connectivity as you move around the house. Here are some key features:

• Managed modes: Standalone mode and cloud mode (both Nebula portal and APP).
    • SSID numbers: Maximum of 8 SSIDs for Nebula mode, and 16 SSIDs for Standalone mode.
    • Advanced control: More control and potentially advanced & flexible SSID/radio configuration, including SSID rate limit, maximum output power, channel adjustment, etc.

To learn how to configure the AP with your existing wireless network, please refer to this FAQ.

2. Using a 2 Pack Multy System:

The Multy system is designed to work together to create a mesh network and offers simplicity and ease of use with:

• Managed mode: Standalone mode and cloud mode (Multy APP).
    • SSIDs: 2 SSIDs, one for the main network and another for the guest network.
    • Configuration: No advanced radio configuration options.

To know more about Multy’s Mesh configuration, please refer to this FAQ

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• irealwasi
    Options

@Ludovicus consider your Ethernet backbone, both options are viable. Opting for an AP like the NWA500AX provides more advanced control with various SSID configurations and managed modes. On the other hand, a 2 Pack Multy system offers simplicity and mesh networking for easy coverage. Assess your preference for advanced control versus simplicity to make the best choice for your house's connectivity needs.