Setup Multy M1 in Access Point mode? How?

Options
ojobson
ojobson Posts: 4
First Comment
edited September 2023 in Multy WiFi System

I am trying to connect these to my network, but the initial setup page I accessed via the website will not run without plugging the M1 into my network via the LAN port and then I have all kinds of issues. Is there an easy way to add this device as an access point?

I have configured my DHCP server to allocate IP addresses to the M1 units' MAC addresses via address reservation, but the M1 is running it's own DHCP server.

Main issues I am having:

I can't change the device IP.

I can't disable the DHCP server.

I've only connected one of these so far by wired connection, but I want to have all three running with wired backhaul, like this:

All Replies

• ojobson
    Options

I'm still having a lot of trouble with this. Two of the M1's have now set up fine by changing the Operating Mode and I will test the mesh / roaming capability shortly. However, the other M1 will not go past the auto-config script at the beginning (a really bad UI decision). I've reset / restarted multiple times.

I found the system page to change the operating mode (by going to it directly) but it doesn't seem to have any effect / sometimes the page does not even load.

I did find and accessed the upgrade firmware page:

http://192.168.1.245/gui/#/main/debug/firmwareupgrade

However, I can't see anywhere on the Zyxel site to download the firmware? Can anyone provide a link?

Looking at the JSON between the router and my web client I found a firmware upgrade location of:

https://d3jal3boi407dg.cloudfront.net/mycloud/wsm20/latest_firmware_info/s3_file/1652350021659/V1.00%28ABZF.4%29C0.bin

So I guess I will try running that through the debug firmware update page…

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,102  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @ojobson

We can help you to upgrade the firwmare.
    I have PM you, please check the message box.

• ojobson
    Options

I wiped/reset all the devices and then tried again using the mobile app this time. I had to jump through a few hoops - I think I didn't have the network cable plugged into the right ports on the M1s (It's not clear for my use case which ports should be used on each device) but after a bit of fiddling I got them all working with wired backhaul. A shame that the website management console is so poor.

Is there any option to manage the signal / broadcast power so I can optimise fast-roaming hand-off between the access points? I have some overlap in my network at present.

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Options

Hi @ojobson

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.
    Multy M1 does not support to limit of the signal power on each Multy device.

• ojobson
    Options

That’s disappointing to hear.

I have installed a 3rd party firmware and the hardware is now working flawlessly. I now have access to advanced config options to optimise fast transition (802.11r) on the network. It’s a shame your software team did not develop this properly.

• Cihank
    Cihank Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited October 2023
    Options

hai, which firmware and how ? Maybe i can do the same!

I have now my new laptop from work and is connected and signal is perfect but no internet.

Worst product i have bought ever. Not stable some devices no internet and it happens all the time! And nobody is helping!
    i have just reset all the devices and now all the internet on all the devices are gone!

• Cihank
    Options

can somebody send me a pm with instructions to install a stable firmware? It is instable and many problems with laptops with wifi6 on board.

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Options

Hi @Cihank

We have contacted you, please check your message box.

• Cihank
    Options

yess i saw it and mailed back with time, monday at 16:00 Netherland time

• Andrea94
    Andrea94 Posts: 4
    Friend Collector First Comment
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have to connect them more or less like you did, how did you manage to make them all work via cable? What port should they be connected to?

Consumer Product Help Center