NBG7510 Firmware Update not found or impossible?

Options

Hi, my 7510 shows Firmware ABZY.1.

But ABZY.3 is currently since last year with many fixes.

The WEBUI told me my firmware is up to date, but it isn't.

There is no manuel option to update the firmware by myself, and I dind't found a firmware file.

The Rover App also did't gave me an option to update.

So how can I update my firmware?

Best

Udo

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 859  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello Udo @umichel

Welcome to the forum.

Is your NBG7510 on-line and connected to the Internet with the LED showing Blue?

When I bought my NBG7510, one of the first things it did once I got it on-line was download ABZY.3 firmware.
    - with the LED going to Purple, see below.

I agree that there no manual upload facility available.

Maybe a factory reset might help…

I hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony

• umichel
    Options

Hi Tony, yes of course.

The LED is blue, and it's working as an access point.

The WEBUI says everthing is up to date, but it isn't.

I've already read about this problem in a german forum.

• tonygibbs16
    edited November 2023
    Options

Ok Udo. @umichel Thanks for your reply.

My NBG7510 is in Router mode, and it allowed download of firmware when in that mode.

- I have not put it in Access Point mode.

Maybe putting your NBG7510 in Router mode might make it download the firmware update...

Hopefully then the upgrade button will appear…

Kind regards Tony

• fury0
    fury0 Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

Hi,

I just bought this router and use it as access point. But it's not possible to update it? Is there any solution (via the cli may be?) without to reset it to a router?

• SHA512
    SHA512 Posts: 4
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

I bought an NBG7510 from Amazon in February 2024 and it was still on firmware V1.00(ABZY.1)C0. According to the release notes on the Zyxel Download Library V1.00(ABZY.6)C0 from December 14th, 2023, is the current firmware version. According to the release notes the V1.00(ABZY.1)C0 is from April 2022.

With that firmware, I have the same issue, that the firmware update page just says that I am on the latest firmware version. I also operate the router in AP mode. So, the same problem.

Routing seems to be ok, as I can ping Internet hosts via the diagnostics page.

I tried to deactive IPv6 without any noteable change. Firmware update still does not work.

What I didn't find was any download link for a firmware file on the Zyxel webpage or a reference for the SSH console. I just found the command "ifconfig" to be working but that was pure trial and error.

Hey Zyxel, you can build better products that this crap !!!

• Peter2
    Peter2 Posts: 68  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 12
    Options

May be you can try to disable the parameters "modelcheck" and "fwidcheck" via ssh to allow firmware upgrade when the cause is that your firmware is to early (1 vs. 6) over web gui like this :

• tonygibbs16
    edited February 12
    Options

I think that what Peter2 suggests is too complicated for this situation.

Dear SHA512 and fury0, may I suggest that you take a backup of your current configuration, then switch your NBG7510 to router mode so you can update the firmware, then switch it back to AP mode and restore your previous configuration.

This is the only workaround I can suggest at present.

Kind regards Tony

• SHA512
    SHA512 Posts: 4
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

I opened an ticket at the Zyxel help desk and got the response, that this is an bug in this firmware version. I have to set the device to router mode, do the firmware update and then switch back to AP mode.

So, the problem was that I first didn't got a default route and DNS resolution after switching back to the router mode. Therefore, I configured enabled the DHCP server on the LAN interface (important: use another subnet as in your local LAN) and enabled the HTTP, HTTPS, and SSH management ports on the WAN interface. I set the WAN interface to Encapsulation = EoIP, optain IP address automatically, and enabled apply as default gateway. Finally, I rebooted the device to ensure the network will be setup correctly from scratch.

After the reboot, I was able to login and update the firmware to V1.00(ABZY.6)C0.

Anyway, a normal user without advanced skills in networking would not be able to solve this issue by itself. Therefore, I still have the opinion that Zyxel sold a buggy device.

• Peter2
    Peter2 Posts: 68  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

So with all these problems like router behind router or in access point mode the best would be to offer download of firmware . The gap between firmware version 1 to 6 was not the problem .

The router directly behind modem so it will work i think …

• tonygibbs16
    edited February 19
    Options

Maybe Peter2 ...

However I use my NBG7510 in router mode connected to another router, and have set the WAN up as IPoE and to obtain IP address automatically. I also setup the WAN to have 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server. And NBG7510 as a DHCP server for the LAN.

And it was able to download the update to V1.00(ABZY.6)C0 when I clicked on the firmware update button.

All software and firmware can have bugs in it, but bugs can vary in seriousness and impact.

Hence why we need to have the ability to update firmware.

I think that I disagree with SHA512 that the NBG7510 is a buggy product per se, but that it has software bugs that Zyxel are going to fix over time I think.

The firmware upgrade button not showing up in AP mode is at least a medium/category 2 severity bug IMHO.

- In my shop, I might ship a product with a category 2 bug if it has a workaround, whereas I would not ship with a category 1 bug.

Kind regards Tony

Consumer Product Help Center