NBG7510 Firmware Update not found or impossible?

Options

All Replies

• Peter2
    Peter2 Posts: 68  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

#tonygibbs16

And you also updated from V1.00(ABZY.1)C0 or later ?

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 859  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 12
    Options

Yes I did Peter2.

It went to .3 when I bought it from .1, and .6 last month.

Kind regards Tony

• SHA512
    SHA512 Posts: 4
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Did some reverse engineering of the ZySH commands:

I found the "zycli" command is working via SSH. Just typing "zycli" prints a list of valid comands. For example, you can output the firmware version via "zycli swversion show".

"history" prints a command history.

"ifconfig" prints the network interface configuration.

"sys" prints some system configuration stuff that I didn't unserstood until now.

"exit" close ssh session.

"cfg" prints several configuration options (e.g., "cfg lan get").

"ping 192.168.1.1" ping another host

"tcpdump" very interesting but unfortunately only outputs "/bin/sh: tcpdump: not found".

"traceroute www.somedomain.com" prints an route trace.

"?" will print a help page with all commands.

One can do this trial and error stuff by typing a random letter (e.g., "c") and pressing the tab key for auto complete. That was how I started until I discovered the "?" command.

Some commands seem to need higher privileges, so the "admin" user is not god on the router. Google told me there are a root and supervisor user on Zyxel devices as well.

Well so far I didn't found a posibility to upgrade the firmware via the SSH interface.

Honestly, I guess it would be easier to setup a custom made access point with an Rasberry Pi and standard Linux OS than spending all my time with this crappy device :-/

• tonygibbs16
    edited February 15
    Options

Your choice @SHA512 as you have the skills.

At least the firmware upgrade is not impossible, because there is a workaround.

* even though that workaround is not easy.

* and the workaround involves the NBG7510 having a route to the Internet and being in router mode.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Peter2
    Options

Perhaps it is a question of ports have to be reachable ? Port 443 HTTPS and 80 HTTP for example maybe they have to be enabled for remote management from WAN ?

Firewall ingoing and outgoing traffic allowed ?

But not everyone has a public IPv4 adress ….

• tonygibbs16
    edited February 16
    Options

Hi @Peter2

For your information, I have not had to enable either of port 80 or port 443 remote management from WAN in order for my NBG7510 to download firmware upgrade when in Router Mode.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Peter2
    Options

If there is no information which connection is used and perhaps requirers open ports one should try out common things like opening firewall or declare the device as DMZ .

Offering firmware download enabeling to install it via webgui would be the best solution for such a router mostly used in second line .

• tonygibbs16
    edited February 17
    Options

Maybe @Peter2 firmware download would be good…but it is not there today, and Zyxel might not want to offer it on the NBG7510 model.

- especially since browsers like Chrome and Edge have blocked the insecure FTP protocol from working in them.

I agree that there are no details about which ports are used by firmware upgrade to download new firmware.

- maybe the NBG7510 uses port 443 which many firewalls will be set-up already to allow outbound conversations on without additional configuration being required…

- I know that I did not need to make any firewall changes in the home router firewall that is between my NBG7510 and the Internet in order to do the firmware upgrade to the .6C0 release.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Peter2
    edited February 17
    Options

Yes, i read it too somewhere there is no more ftp service only https .

here is a hint :

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360018155520-Security-Announcement-Change-FTP-Service-to-HTTPS-Download-Service

May be version 1 firmware still tries to connect via ftp and the failure dialogue is not informative ?

I tried with an old firefox version : ftp.zyxel.com is still reachable there are some older things but nothing for this device .

• tonygibbs16
    edited February 18
    Options

I doubt it @Peter2 since the FTP service was replaced by HTTPS for new devices by March 2021, which was before the NBG7510 was released in August 2022.

Kind regards Tony

Consumer Product Help Center