Can't connect to SSID's anytime i try and make them hidden

Options

I have several NWA110ax's. I am trying to create several hidden SSID's for internal networks, IoT, etc. Every time i SSID availability and make the SSID hidden i am unable to connect to it with devices, phone, laptops. No error, just doesn't connect. No VLAN or guest networking is done. One SSID is only the 2.4 spectrum though. Thanks for your help.
~matt

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @mcbisme ,

To better understand and resolve the issue, could you please provide the following information:

• Were you able to successfully connect to the SSID when it was set to "Broadcast this SSID" (meaning when the SSID appears in the client list)?
    • What security option did you select for the SSID?
    • Were any devices able to successfully connect to the SSID when its visibility was set to "Hide this SSID"?
    • Please provide the MAC address of the client device and the time that couldn't connect to the hidden SSID and share any alert messages on the client's screen.

By the way, please enable Zyxel support by navigating to 'Help' (identified by a question mark icon at the top right corner of Nebula portal) > 'Support Request' > 'Zyxel Support Access', then click 'Enable' and 'Save'.

Additionally, please provide us with the name of your Nebula organization/site here or via the private message by clinking to my account > Message.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• mcbisme
    Options

Hello, Thanks for you response. Here is answer to your queries.

1. Yes, we can universally connect to the SSID with no other changes than making it visible. (Broadcasting)
    2. We use WPA2 personal for the security option on all of our SSID's, with the assumption that that would be the most broadly compatible. (Is WPA3 Personal fully backward compatible with older devices?)
    3. Here i found a difference in devices. Newer phones could not connect to the hidden SSID. But older devices such as TV's and laptops could connect to the hidden SSID. Case in point, a Pixel 7 could not connect.
    4. On the Pixel 7 that could not connect, it gives no errors. It just tries to connect for a few seconds then goes to other networks. If you "forget" the previous networks it simply doesn't connect to the visible WiFi networks until other steps are taken.

Thank you again for your time and expertise.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 952  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @mcbisme ,

Thank you for the very clear information from you.

Could you share with us the Pixel 7's OS version? We'll try to reproduce the issue at our site.

Additionally, it seems like only the Pixel 7 is experiencing this issue, so I also recommend you contact Google support to see if there is any solution available. I found some discussions indicating that the Pixel series has had issues connecting to hidden networks there.

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

Nebula Tips & Tricks