WLC (wireless Lan Controller) built into the USG Flex 700?

Options
jef
jef Posts: 37  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments

I want to setup roaming ssid wifi, I want to use our USG F700 and wax630s APs.
What more would I need?

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 949  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jef ,

You have the option to configure a roaming environment with multiple WAX630S APs. However, it's important to note that roaming between a USG FLEX 700 firewall and a WAX630S AP is not feasible. The reason is that the USG FLEX 700 is exclusively a firewall device that can be used as an AP controller, however, does not possess wireless capabilities. At the time of this writing, the USG FLEX models with wireless features are the 100W and 100AX have the wireless feature.

To successfully implement a roaming environment between WAX630S APs (and the firewall as USG FLEX 100W, 100AX), please ensure the following:

• APs (firewalls) should share the same SSID name and security settings.
    • There should be an overlapping wireless coverage of about 15% to 20% between the APs (firewalls).

For detailed guidance on setting up roaming, you can refer to our FAQs:

For AP in AP Controller mode: How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming? — Zyxel CommunityFor AP For AP in Nebula cloud mode: How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming on Nebula? — Zyxel Community

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jef ,

You have the option to configure a roaming environment with multiple WAX630S APs. However, it's important to note that roaming between a USG FLEX 700 firewall and a WAX630S AP is not feasible. The reason is that the USG FLEX 700 is exclusively a firewall device that can be used as an AP controller, however, does not possess wireless capabilities. At the time of this writing, the USG FLEX models with wireless features are the 100W and 100AX have the wireless feature.

To successfully implement a roaming environment between WAX630S APs (and the firewall as USG FLEX 100W, 100AX), please ensure the following:

• APs (firewalls) should share the same SSID name and security settings.
    • There should be an overlapping wireless coverage of about 15% to 20% between the APs (firewalls).

For detailed guidance on setting up roaming, you can refer to our FAQs:

For AP in AP Controller mode: How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming? — Zyxel CommunityFor AP For AP in Nebula cloud mode: How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming on Nebula? — Zyxel Community

• jef
    Options

Thanks Judy, I had already watched the "How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming?", that is video is why I had my question. In that "How to", it specifically show a "NXC" controller being used with a USG.

I wanted to make sure that the USG Flex 700 did NOT need any type of controller, that it would be the WLC.

I hope you can see where those types of "how to" videos are confusing.

• jef
    Options

Also "There should be an overlapping wireless coverage of about 15% to 20% between the APs (firewalls)."
    How exactly would "over lap" be measured?

• jef
    Options

"Essentially, you need to determine the points where the signal from one AP begins to weaken and lose"

I don't understand "weaken and lose", how weak is too weak. The dBm bounce all over the place.
    How do I know when to reduce an AP's power?

• Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @jef ,

To verify the strength of the client signal, you can check the signal value in the wireless client list of the USG FLEX 700 or use a network analysis tool on your devices (such as mobile phones or laptops). A signal value weaker than -70dBm should be considered weak.

Additionally, the wireless signal indicator on a client's device can provide a quick visual assessment. If the indicator shows only one or two bars, it signifies that the signal strength is low.