Enhancing Device Access Visualization: Extending Topology Functionality for VLANs and SecurityPolicy

Options
ItMerc
ItMerc Posts: 8
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch
edited February 2 in Nebula Ideas

Would it be possible to create an extension to the current topology function to filter devices based on VLANs and security policies? This would be a valuable addition to visualizing device access.

3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,656  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @ItMerc,

Thanks for sharing your idea! May I know what it will be like in your imagination? Is there has two new client filter selections in Display options > Clients?

Zyxel Melen

• ItMerc
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch
    Options

Hi Zyxel_Melen,

Absolutely! It would be great to have a quick overview of which devices can communicate with each other (LAN, VLANs) and which connections these devices have to the internet (WAN) at a glance. This feature could significantly enhance the user experience in managing client filters. 😁

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,656  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 21
    Options

Hi @ItMerc,

Thanks for your feedback. For the security policy, may I know your purpose is only to check which device can connect to the Internet? Or do you want to check at a glance which device a security policy affects?

Zyxel Melen

• ItMerc
    Options

Dear Zyxel_Melen,

It would be beneficial to visually observe the network flows based on the network policies. Within the networks I set up, I employ Zero Trust. For example:

SF_VLAN10-LAN_Block (By default, I block all unnecessary internal traffic)
    SF_VLAN20-LAN_Block (Default for each VLAN)

SF_VLAN30-VLAN10_Printer_Allow (If necessary, an allow rule)

SF_Default_LAN-WAN (Ultimately, I have an allow rule to WAN with APP & WEB filter)

With this visual expansion, I can easily see, at a glance per VLAN/Device, whether there are any unwanted network flows present.

So:

Filtering in the topology based on VLAN (source)->Topology then shows which network flows the selected VLAN has (based on the security policies)

Filtering in the topology based on Device (source)->Topology then shows which network flows the selected Device has (based on the security policies)

(See attached image for an example of my security policies)

Thank you for considering my suggestion!😄

Nebula Tips & Tricks