NSG50 WAN Failover preferred line setting seems broken

Options
Simultux
Simultux Posts: 7
First Anniversary First Comment
edited February 14 in Nebula

Hi!

When I configure an NSG50 with two wan lines and failover configuration with a preferred line it initially works fine, if the preferred line fails, it switches over to the secondary line. However wen the perferred line is up again it does not switch back. this leads to performance issued and high cost for my customers because they have LTE/5g dialup as backup line for their fibre and once their fibre has a short hickup all traffic goes through the backup line and never returns tot he proper line.

How can this be solved, Sending the customer to manually reboot their backup router every time is not feasible.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,673  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Simultux,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns regarding the failover mechanism. Although the current failover mechanism will not be improved, we will take your feedback seriously and evaluate it for possible enhancements in our future products.

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 135  Ally Member
    Options

NSG50 already end of support .

I thought you should consider buy a new one.,

• Simultux
    Simultux Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

I would, unfortunately there is no replacement in this segment of capabilities and price that supports redundant WAN-ports, at least none I could find. This is a mandatory requirement for my customers. It is hard to sell the customer that he has to upgrade from a NSG50 to a FLEX200 just to retain his existing functionality and with much more expensive licenses IIRC. Especially for small offices with only a few employees, who need redundant internet, but not a bunch of bandwidth.

• greg
    greg Posts: 25  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options

Simultux

please look at theses told topics .THEy WORK FOR ME WELL simce many months

-

• Zyxel_Melen
    Options

Hi @Simultux,

This is because the failover mechanism will remain the already connected session in the backup interface (WAN2). This purpose is not to disconnect the current client already connected to the internet. Additionally, the new sessions will go back to the primary interface (WAN1).

In addition, the NSG 50 has been end of support, and its recommended product for replacement is USG FLEX 100.

Zyxel Melen

• Simultux
    Options

USG Flex 100 has only one wan interace and thus no failover capability at all. First device I could find with two WAN ports was the USG Flex 200, which is considerably more expensive and also has a higher cost for the subscriptions.
    On a related note when is the expected end of life of the USG100/200 series. the NSG50 in Question was purchased in 2020 and back then I did not find any hint that it would go completely out of support within less than 3 years. this makes lifecycle planning for me and my customers quite difficult.

• Simultux
    Options

Additional Poit: it would be great if I could configure whether or not sessions are forcefully moved back after reconnect. In my usecase I have a maoin line that comes at a fixed cost and a dial up line that incurrs cost for every MB trasferred as backup, so naturally my customer wants the system to switch back as soon as the line is back up and does not care so much about a short interruption of service when switching back. this should be a configureable behaviour rather than guessing what is best for the customer.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Simultux,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns regarding the failover mechanism. Although the current failover mechanism will not be improved, we will take your feedback seriously and evaluate it for possible enhancements in our future products.

Zyxel Melen

Nebula Tips & Tricks