Am I missing something obvious?

Options
VriendP
VriendP Posts: 2
First Comment

I just unboxed a shiny new XMG1930-30 switch for home use and my experience in the first hour is… well, less than optimal.

My Cisco knowledge is a little outdated but I do hold some cisco certifications so this stuff isn't exactly new to me. So far, I have two major issues.

1. When hooked up to the network, the switch gets DHCP and I can walk through the web config and save the config. Funny enough, the configuration does get saved but then gets reset back to default, without me causing this. The switch is in standalone mode. I'm not sure what to make of this.
  2. The switch interface port is flapping for no apparent reason (never mind this, I'll troubleshooting that later if I get that far)
  3. The CLI reference guide describes the initial setup process but I can't get through it because commands like enable, password, admin-password and configure aren't available. In other words, I can't configure anything.

Quick paste from SSH:

XMG1930# ?
boot Perform a cold start
cable-diagnostics Execute cable diagnostics
clear Clear functions
disable Turn off privileged commands
erase Reset system configuration
exit Exit from the EXEC
igmp-flush Flush Igmp snooping table
import Import functions
locator-led Blink locator-led
logout Exit from the EXEC
mac-flush Flush MAC address table
no Remove configuration
ping Exec ping
release Release functions
reload Perform a warm start
renew Renew Setting
reset Reset functions
show Show system information
traceroute Exec traceroute
XMG1930# show privilege
Current privilege level : 14

XMG1930#

The Nebula stuff doesn't work for me, I don't want to use a cloud solution. So if I want to use this switch, I'm gonna need a stable platform that allows me to perform basic commands. I tried walking through the quick start and beginning of CLI ref guide.

Rather than sending this thing back and canceling my other orders for a 1915 and SPF modules, I would prefer to get the L3 Perpetual License and set this thing up properly but it appears I'm missing something super obvious that's gonna make me look stupid. :-)

Also, the switch is on Firmware v4.70 and an update might resolve the issue but right now I just don't trust it enough to try and upgrade it (I have yet to work out how to do that, too).

Maybe someone here knows what that might be.

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,676  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 15 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @VriendP,

Thank you for choosing the XMG1930-30 for your networking needs. It's important to note that unlike some home switches, this smart management switch requires manual saving of configurations after any changes. You may click the save button on the top menu to quickly save it.

For CLI configurations, the switch must be equipped with an L3 license. Additionally, please ensure your switch's firmware is updated to the latest version, as version 4.70 does not support L3 license registration. Upgrading will enhance your switch's functionality and support for advanced features. Here's a FAQ to guide you how to register the license to your switch.

For the port flapping problem, may I know what device did you connect to XMG1930-30?

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,676  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 15 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @VriendP,

Thank you for choosing the XMG1930-30 for your networking needs. It's important to note that unlike some home switches, this smart management switch requires manual saving of configurations after any changes. You may click the save button on the top menu to quickly save it.

For CLI configurations, the switch must be equipped with an L3 license. Additionally, please ensure your switch's firmware is updated to the latest version, as version 4.70 does not support L3 license registration. Upgrading will enhance your switch's functionality and support for advanced features. Here's a FAQ to guide you how to register the license to your switch.

For the port flapping problem, may I know what device did you connect to XMG1930-30?

Zyxel Melen

• VriendP
    VriendP Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Thank you for the clarification!

I've ordered the LIC-ACSL3-ZZ0001F SKU and I'm patiently waiting for that to get delivered. I'm looking forward to the client-side 2.5Gbit ethernet speed!