XMG1915-18EP setup problems

Brollachan
Brollachan Posts: 7
First Comment

Hi,

I have just upgraded to a smart switch from an unmanaged switch and now find myself in a completely new environment.

Is there a config file or procedure that can set the switch into an unmanaged mode, or a walk through for setting up the switch in a very basic mode.

At present, I am unable to access my local network or install wireless Onvif cameras yet prior to installing the new switch, everything was working ok.

thanks for any help or advice 🙃

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 2,290  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate
    edited June 12

Hi @Brollachan,

I would like to clarify some questions with you:

• Were there any differences between the previous and current topology?
    • Did you create any VLAN in the previous topology?
    • Does the current network have a DHCP server to provide IP addresses to your PC and wireless Onvif cameras?

In addition, the difference between unmanaged switches and managed switches is:

• Unmanaged switches use VLAN passthrough/VLAN trunking by default. It will forward any tagged packets directly.
    • Managed switches check the VLAN table to forward each packet. If the VLAN of the tagged packets is not listed on the VLAN table, the switch will not forward.

To make the managed switches act like unmanaged switches, please navigate to Menu > SWITCHING > VLAN > VLAN Setup > VLAN Port Setup to configure VLAN trunking.

• Brollachan
    First Comment

Hi Melen,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I am getting to the source of my problem.

My PC has 2 x Lan ports, 1Gig and a 2.5Gig, the 2.5Gig is connected directly to my NAS and the 1Gig to the switch. For some reason my PC now wants to use the 2.5Gig Lan to connect to the internet. I have to turn off this NIC to access the internet.
    using the 2.5Gig Lan (169.254.1.3)to ping the NAS i get:

Pinging 169.254.1.3 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 169.254.1.2: Destination host unreachable.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 169.254.1.2: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 169.254.1.3:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),

but if i try to ping the NAS with the 1Gig Lan (192.168.50.1) through the switch i get:

Pinging 192.168.50.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.50.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I did a final ping from the firewall (pfsense) to the NAS:

PING 192.168.50.1 (192.168.50.1): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 192.168.50.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.073 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.50.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.029 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.50.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms

--- 192.168.50.1 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.025/0.043/0.073/0.022 ms

So looking like a driver issue or hardware problem on the PC side ?

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula Zyxel Certified Sales Associate
    edited June 13

Hi @Brollachan,

Thanks for updating the new information with me. May I know if this result is tested after you configure VLAN trunking? I also found your 2.5G port is using an APIPA address, which means it doesn't get a DHCP IP address.

May I clarify the IP address of each device? Since I cannot figure out which IP is your NAS, firewall, or PC. Also, please help to answer these questions so I can better help you on this issue.

• Were there any differences between the previous and current topology? Please also provide the current topology picture with us.
    • Did you create any VLAN in the previous topology?
    • Does the current network have a DHCP server to provide IP addresses to your PC and wireless Onvif cameras?

Thanks in advance.

• Brollachan
    First Comment

Hi Melen,

The topology is basically the same, but a few devices have been upgrades ie the firewall and the Internet provider are new.

I had no previous vlans and my old switch was the Netgear GS116LP 16 port 1Gig/POE unmanaged switch.

Prior to installing the Zyxel switch, I had replaced the firewall (pfsense) and set up a vlan(911) in pfsense to get internet over PPoE. At this point all my devices where working well though limited to the 1Gig throughput of the Netgear switch.

Upon installing the Zyxel switch, I realized quickly that a managed switch is a different beast from an unmanaged switch and I am having difficulty coming to grips with it.

To date, when in the Nebula control center, all the devices are now green, but some devices do not work properly, examples are the NAS cannot access the internet or play Plex either local or over the internet, printer does not print, TV wont play amazon prime videos and the NVR still cant find the wireless onvif cameras (but they work on the mobile app using the AP).

The 2.5 Gig port using the APIPA address is fine as it’s a direct connection between the PC and NAS and does not go through the firewall/switch.

My current DNS servers are 127.0.0.1 - 192.168.1.35 - 9.9.9.9 (unbound mode)

The 192.168.1.35 is the Pi-Hole

ARP Table

LAN 192.168.1.40 e0:ba:ad:e5:a4:c4 NVR Expires in 133 seconds ethernet

LAN 192.168.1.10 fc:34:97:b7:15:d4 PC Expires in 1196 seconds ethernet

LAN 192.168.1.35 dc:a6:32:25:7a:0a Pi-Hole Expires in 1184 seconds ethernet

LAN 192.168.1.5 f4:4d:5c:7a:ac:98 Switch Expires in 1096 seconds ethernet

LAN 192.168.1.6 48:ed:e6:54:96:bf AP Expires in 1189 seconds ethernet

LAN 192.168.1.210 ac:9b:0a:d5:d7:4b TV Expires in 968 seconds ethernet

NAS 192.168.50.20 24:4b:fe:83:81:7b NAS Expires in 1179 seconds ethernet

NAS 192.168.50.1 60:be:b4:17:b1:42 NAS interface Permanent ethernet

LAN 192.168.1.1 60:be:b4:17:b1:41 pfSense.home.arpa Permanent ethernet

The Zyxel Modem is not connected to anything at the moment, but will be used as a failover when I have the basic system up and running.

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @Brollachan,

Thanks for your update.

Could you help to enable Zyxel support for me to check the current status? Please go to Help (identified by a question mark icon at the upper right corner of Nebula portal) > Support Request > Zyxel support Access to enable and save. Thanks in advance.

• Brollachan
    First Comment

The support option has been enabled 😀

• Brollachan
    First Comment

On a different note, would it be possible to obtain stencils for the following please:

NWA220AX-6E

XMG1915-18EP

FWA710

thanks -)

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @Brollachan,

I have checked the switch and AP and I have some questions would like to clarify first:

1. I found the printer and the wireless camera is connecting to the AP and the AP's SSID is using NAT mode. May I know why you use NAT mode instead of local bridge mode? Did you try the local bridge mode and have the same issue?
    2. I can use the switch to ping your NAS ( 192.168.50.1 and 192.168.50.20), so the LAN to LAN routing should be fine. Have you tried to use the NAS to ping the firewall and the internet (8.8.8.8) but failed?
    3. "The NAS cannot play Plex either local or over the internet, TV wont play amazon prime videos" May I know the DNS server of the NAS and TV are both "192.168.1.35" right? Did you try the other DNS server (8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9) but failed too?

• Brollachan
    First Comment

Hi,

My new firewall came with pfSense+ installed, I downgraded it to pfSense 2.7.2. This did not go as well as expected and probably the cause of my problems. Although everything seemed to be working ok, it was not until further inspection did I notice certain options where either turned on or off, DHCP servers where missing DNS servers or the address pool missing altogether. I fresh install of pfSense in now on the cards.

With fixing some issues, I have managed to get full access to the NAS and TV, local and through the internet

This leaves the wireless cameras. They connect to the Access Point = NWA220AX-6E without any issue, the problem stems from the AP giving the cameras an IP address in the range of 10.0.0.X (any connected device). The NVR is looking for an IP in the range of 192.168.1.x (must be same subnet?)

Is there a way to stop the AP giving the cameras an IP in the 10.0.0.1 range?

cheers

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @Brollachan,

About the question "Is there a way to stop the AP giving the cameras an IP in the 10.0.0.1 range?":

This is because your SSID is using NAT mode. In NAT mode, the AP will provide the DHCP IP address in subnet "10.0.0.0/8" or "172.16.0.0/12". You may change this SSID to local bridge mode to stop the AP provides DHCP IP addresses.

Here is a post for you to reference the NAT mode on AP: