Static IP adrress reservation on USGFLEX 200H

AlexandervonW
AlexandervonW Posts: 10
First Comment
edited July 12 in USG FLEX H Series

Hi there,

on the new 200H, i cannot find any option to make a static IP reservation same as on the former models/software. In firmeware 5.x you could select the network interface, give it an DHCP address range and confige static IUP adresses, which could be out of the DHCP range. Than activate the setting "Enable IP/MAC Binding and DHCP Enforcement" and only those device which MAC adrres is fix configured, could access the network.

I am really lost, where ist that option in the USGFLEX 200H!

Many thnaks for help

Alexander

Accepted Solution

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 3,118  Guru Member
    Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Answers
    Answer ✓

Yes you are right you can not set a IP reservation outside the DHCP range for the device to use DHCP and get that IP outside the DHCP range like on current models.

This is likely by design under the new uOS this is something that can be done at some point

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 1,327  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Nebula

Hi @AlexandervW ,

With the Firewall H Series, you can reserve a static IP by navigating to Network Status > DHCP Server. Click "Add," enter the necessary information, and click "Save."

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• AlexandervonW
    First Comment
    edited July 12

Hi Zyxel_Judy,

no, you cannot! I did that, but after for. ex. restart of the device, which has a static ip in the way you wrote, it starts up with a self defined ip adrres (169.x.x.x)!

Remember, the static ip has to be out of the DHCP range!

Thanks for help

Alexander

• PeterUK
    Answer ✓

Yes you are right you can not set a IP reservation outside the DHCP range for the device to use DHCP and get that IP outside the DHCP range like on current models.

This is likely by design under the new uOS this is something that can be done at some point

• AlexandervonW
    First Comment
    edited July 12

Hi PeterUK,

many thanks for your answer. And, this is really stupid by design, because this is the easierst way to bring security to your network!

Anyhow, i have decided to switch back to an ATP500 and the old firmware.

Many thanks for your help

Alexander

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Nebula

Hi @AlexandervonW ,

We want to share the steps and results we achieved when reproducing your configuration on the USG FLEX 200H with firmware version 1.20(ABWV.2)C0:

• Our ge3 interface is configured with the IP range 192.168.168.33 to 192.168.168.100.
    • Go to Network Status > DHCP Server, click Add, enter 192.168.168.200 and the MAC address of Device A, and then click Save.
    • Confirm that Device A obtains the IP address 192.168.168.200.
    • Restart Device A and wait for it to fully boot up.
    • Confirm that Device A still retains the IP address 192.168.168.200.

If you performed any steps differently/ different firmware, please let us know. We are here to help verify and confirm the behavior of the USG FLEX 200H.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• Hi ZyxeL_judy,

i have the firmware V1.20(ABWV.2) on the 200H. Your setup is right, minor difference is, that i set the DHCP range to f. 192.168.11.200 - 220 and the static ip i choose was 192.168.11.20. After a reboot, in this case a printer, the reservation on the printer was gone…

So, is the "CO" behind your firmware a newer version?

kind regards

Alexander

• And, sorry, mind me asking, is the former option "Enable IP/MAC Binding and DHCP Enforcement" now gone? Or is it always active?

Thats for a reply

Alexander

• PeterUK
    edited July 15

I see where we are going wrong here @AlexandervonW

see not only must the MAC match so must the name

I have
    ge4 LAN 192.168.255.235/26

DHCP 192.168.255.195 pool size 3

if I put in DHCP table

Name _

IP 192.168.255.199

MAC 08:00:27:41:31:6c

The device at MAC 08:00:27:41:31:6c gets no IP

IF I do

Name DESKTOP-FST11TL

IP 192.168.255.199

MAC 08:00:27:41:31:6c

Then the device at MAC 08:00:27:41:31:6c gets the IP by DHCP

Also another problem is you can't use the same name under the interface LAN or if that name is used on another interface LAN

So what I think needs changing is the Name does not need to match only the MAC needs to match for DHCP table to give out the IP for that MAC which is how it is on current models.

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi users,

Our client still obtains the IP address even if the client's name entered in the DHCP table list (e.g., Client_A) is different from the actual client's name (e.g., DESKTOP-JUDY).

To clarify what is happening at your site, we request you to capture a packet and send it to us for analysis. Please follow the steps below:

• Go to GUI > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Packet capture
    • Choose the interface you are testing and set the Host Port as 68
    • Click Apply button
    • Click Start icon
    • Connect client to the USG FLEX 200H network and wait for 3-5 minutes
    • Click Stops icon
    • Download the packet file

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @AlexandervonW ,

So, is the "CO" behind your firmware a newer version?

The V1.20(ABWV.2) and 1.20(ABWV.2)C0 are the same

is the former option "Enable IP/MAC Binding and DHCP Enforcement" now gone?

For the USG FLEX H series, IP/MAC Binding is implemented when you add the IP and MAC address in the DHCP table (no IP/MAC Binding menu). This is different from the IP/MAC Binding flow used in the USG FLEX and ATP series.