NAS542 Can't find NAS on the network after shutdown/reboot, not even after reset

agarwaen
agarwaen Posts: 2  Freshman Member
First Comment Friend Collector

Hi,

I have a NAS542 (for some years now) and haven't upgraded to the latest latest firmware (without access to the NAS I don't remember what version is was), I know it's loaded with the version exactly before the last one.

After some hard shutdowns using the button (that's how my kid learned to shut it off….) when booting the NAS, the disks were spinning and the lights blinking for some time, but that's it. At one point they stop. I can't find my NAS on the network (with its IP or domain name) and can't connect with ssh to it (I get a timeout).

After some time and futile efforts, I reset the NAS using the button on the back of the device (pushed the button until I heard the second beep, released then heard 3 beeps). The NAS is unreachable through the network, still. No web UI at http://nas542, nothing in its old IP, nothing on the network looking at the router's page…….

I'm at a loss, I don't know what to do… I actually ordered a second one, in the hopes I can just physically move the disks from this one to the other one, but I don't even remember what RAID setting I had (IIRC, it was one where I was using all available space except one disk, i.e. 1/4th of the space was used for RAID checksums, and I could lose/replace up to one disk without data corruption)

Best Answers

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,751  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary
    Answer ✓

Have you tried:

• another cable
    • another switch port
    • another network port on the NAS?

(IIRC, it was one where I was using all available space except one disk, i.e. 1/4th of the space was used for RAID checksums, and I could lose/replace up to one disk without data corruption)

That is raid5.

I actually ordered a second one, in the hopes I can just physically move the disks from this one to the other one

When you ordered another NAS540 or NAS542 (are they still for sale?) they should accept the disks as-is. You only have to create users and groups, and (re-)enable the shares. That information is not stored on the disks, but on a flash partition in the NAS.

• agarwaen
    Answer ✓

Tried another cable………… and yes….. now I see it, duh!! It's indeed raid 5.

I ordered the last NAS542 I found on the local market, it was pretty cheap. I won't cancel the order after this, I'll actually build a backup (should have done that a long time now). Good to know that being the same it should accept the disks as-is (I will try it out and confirm here).

Really appreciate the swift reply btw, thanks!

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,751  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary
    Answer ✓

Have you tried:

• another cable
    • another switch port
    • another network port on the NAS?

(IIRC, it was one where I was using all available space except one disk, i.e. 1/4th of the space was used for RAID checksums, and I could lose/replace up to one disk without data corruption)

That is raid5.

I actually ordered a second one, in the hopes I can just physically move the disks from this one to the other one

When you ordered another NAS540 or NAS542 (are they still for sale?) they should accept the disks as-is. You only have to create users and groups, and (re-)enable the shares. That information is not stored on the disks, but on a flash partition in the NAS.

• agarwaen
    Answer ✓

Tried another cable………… and yes….. now I see it, duh!! It's indeed raid 5.

I ordered the last NAS542 I found on the local market, it was pretty cheap. I won't cancel the order after this, I'll actually build a backup (should have done that a long time now). Good to know that being the same it should accept the disks as-is (I will try it out and confirm here).

Really appreciate the swift reply btw, thanks!

Consumer Product Help Center